I saw these beautiful rainbow carrots in the organic produce section and immediately snatched them up and put them in the cart, as if someone was going to come steal them for me if I didn’t grab them fast enough! I had no immediate plan for them, but set out to find the perfect way to use them.
After a little research, I learned that thyme is a classic pairing for carrots. Most recipes online called for olive oil, and I thought to myself, “well, that’s boring.”
I decided to use butter to moisten the carrots and the pan. A splash of lemon juice to add some acidity and balance the earthiness of the thyme.
I try not to peel carrots as much as possible, since it strips away many of the nutrients. Instead, I use a rough cloth to scrub the carrots free of dirt. You will be amazed at how clean they can get without peeling!
This dish is as delicious as it is beautiful. Four simple ingredients and twenty minutes in the oven, and you have a side dish that is easy enough for busy weeknights, but beautiful enough for company.
- 2 lb rainbow carrots (check the organic section)
- 3 tbsp butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub carrots with a wet dishcloth. Do not peel.
- Place clean carrots on a lightly greased roasting pan or baking sheet with edges.
- Melt butter in microwave in a microwave safe dish.
- Add lemon, thyme, salt and pepper to butter.
- Pour over carrots.
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
Love it? Pin this recipe!