Roasted Whole Rainbow Carrots with Lemon-Thyme Butter
Roasted Rainbow Carrots are roasted to perfection with simple lemon thyme butter. It’s a gorgeous and healthy side dish!
Have you ever seen rainbow carrots at the store? I saw these beautiful rainbow carrots in the organic produce section and immediately snatched them up and put them in the cart, as if someone was going to come steal them for me if I didn’t grab them fast enough! I had no immediate plan for them, but set out to find the perfect way to use them to make roasted rainbow carrots.
I did a bit of research, and found that the herb thyme is a classic pairing for carrots. Most recipes called for olive oil, and I thought to myself, “well, that’s boring.” Carrots definitely taste good by themselves, but to add a little more flavor than just plain old olive oil!
I decided to use butter to roast the carrots and the pan. A splash of lemon juice to add some acidity and balance the earthiness of the thyme. And a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste.
I try not to peel carrots as much as possible, since it strips away many of the nutrients. Instead, I use a rough cloth or dish scrubber to scrub the carrots free of dirt. You will be amazed at how clean they can get without peeling!
This dish is as delicious as it is beautiful. Four simple ingredients and twenty minutes in the oven, and you have beautiful roasted rainbow carrots that are easy enough for busy weeknights, but beautiful enough for company!
I like to serve these roasted carrots alongside Mustard and Beer Braised Pork Ribs, Perfectly Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce or Maple Dijon Chicken Breast!
It also makes a beautiful side dish for Thanksgiving or holiday dinners!
- 2 pounds whole rainbow carrots
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- fresh chopped parsley or fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub carrots with a wet dishcloth. Do not peel.
- Place clean carrots on a lightly greased roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven. Roast for 15 minutes.
- While the carrots roast, make the sauce. In a small bowl, add lemon, brown sugar, thyme, salt and pepper to the melted butter. Whisk vigorously to combine.
- After 15 minutes, carefully remove the carrots from the oven. Pour the sauce over the carrots, then flip them.
- Return the carrots to the oven and roast for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the carrots can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm, garnishing with fresh herbs.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 8
Amount Per Serving Calories 82Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 11mgSodium 173mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 1g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app and may be incorrect.
Love it? Pin this recipe!
If you love these Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Lemon Thyme Butter, I think you’ll also enjoy these other incredible veggie side dishes!
- Crispy Roasted Purple Potatoes with Shallots and Chives
- Roasted Walnut and Bourbon Pork Tenderloin
- Honey Roasted Pecans