Make an unforgettably smoky Mezcal Margarita with this recipe! Includes instructions for ONE serving and a PITCHER of delicious margaritas made with Mezcal.
Have you tried Mezcal? I LOVE it! It's like tequila, but has a much smokier flavor, which makes it an excellent addition to cocktails like this Mezcal Margarita recipe! You'll love this recipe whether you just want one margarita or a whole pitcher, because I include instructions for both!
What is Mezcal?
Mezcal is very similar to tequila. Both are made from the agave plant, and manufactured in Mexico.
The difference is one key thing. When Mezcal is made, the agave plant is roasted first.
Roasting the agave gives Mezcal it's signature smokiness, and makes it a wonderful addition to cocktails!
- Mezcal: You'll love the smoky flavor of Mezcal style tequila. You can substitute with tequila if you prefer.
- Lime Juice: Use freshly squeezed juice for the best flavor
- Orange Juice: Use freshly squeezed juice for best flavor
- Grand Marnier: This is what is used in traditional top shelf margaritas. However, you can substitute with Cointreau or Triple Sec.
- Simple Syrup
- Kosher Salt: Optional Garnish
- Lime wedges/slices: Optional Garnish
If you don't have Mezcal, you can certainly use tequila for this margarita recipe! just substitute your favorite brand. I love using anejo style tequila, which has been aged and tends to be a bit smoother. It has a LOT less bite!
This Mezcal Margarita recipe is perfect served with:
- Baked Baja Fish Tacos
- Easy Flank Steak Tacos
- Crispy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Slaw
- The Best Esquites Recipe (Street Corn Salad)
- For 1 serving:
- - 2 ounces (59 mL) reposado tequila
- - 2 ounces (59 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- - ½ ounce (14 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- - ½ ounce (14 mL) Grand Marnier
- - 1 ½ teaspoons simple syrup
- - Ice
- - Kosher salt for the rim (optional)
- - Fresh lime wedges for garnish (optional)
- For a pitcher (6 servings):
- - 12 ounces (354 mL) reposado tequila
- - 12 (354 mL) ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- - 3 ounces (88 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- - 6 ounces (177 mL) Grand Marnier
- - 9 Tablespoons simple syrup
- - Ice
- - Fresh lime wedges and kosher salt for garnish (optional)
For 1 serving:
1. To salt the rim of the glass, add a good amount of salt to a shallow dish. Cut off
a slice of lime and rub it around the edge of the glass. Dip the glass into the
salt to coat the rim.
2. In a large glass or cocktail shaker add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice,
Grand Marnier, and simple syrup. Stir to combine or add ice to the cocktail
shaker and shake until combined and chilled.
3. Fill your serving glass with ice and strain your cocktail over the ice. Garnish with
a lime wedge if desired.
For a pitcher:
1. Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, Grand Marnier, and simple syrup to a
large pitcher. Stir to combine.
2. To serve, rub a lime wedge on the edge of a glass and dip in kosher salt to coat. Add ice to each glass and serve.