No need to visit your favorite Mexican restaurant to enjoy delicious queso dip! This creamy white queso dip only has five ingredients, and is so easy to make.
We eat at Mexican restaurants several times each month! I know it's not authentic. But, I always crave the white cheese dip that you can find at Mexican restaurants here in the Midwest. I've been experimenting at home to make an easy white queso dip recipe like this one for several years!
This Easy White Queso recipe uses white American cheese, which you can find at your deli counter! The deli will be happy to cut you the perfect hunk of cheese to make this smooth cheese dip.
This recipe is a queso blanco dip, hence the white American cheese. But, if you want to make a yellow cheese dip, you can use high quality American cheese from the deli!
I know what you're thinking. "This lady is telling me to use American cheese in this Mexican cheese dip?" Well, yes, I am. And you'll have to trust me that it makes a smoother cheese dip!
Need more recipes for upcoming Taco Tuesdays or Cinco de Mayo? I like to serve this easy queso blanco dip with these recipes: The Best Pollo Asado Tacos | Baked Baja Fish Tacos | Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce | Fried Egg Chilaquiles Verdes
There are so many ways to enjoy this white cheese sauce! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Served with a bag of tortilla chips for dipping!
- Drizzled over the top of a bowl of Mexican rice, black beans, diced avocado and salsa
When making this cheesy dip, there are several substitutions you can try!
- Substitute heavy cream for the half and half
- You can also substitute 8 ounces cream cheese and 8 ounces milk for the pint of half and half
- Use half white American cheese and half Monterey jack cheese OR half pepper jack cheese
This is YOUR homemade queso dip, so feel free to experiment with it! The simple ingredients in this recipe will give you a great base! I love adding green chilies to the mix. Here are a few additions that I've tried:
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3.5 ounces green chiles
- ½ cup fresh pico de gallo or chunky salsa
- a can of the original Rotel tomatoes
- ½ pound of cooked, crumbled ground beef to make a simple chile con queso
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder
Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator
5 Ingredient White Queso Dip
No need to visit your favorite Mexican restaurant to enjoy a delicious queso dip! This creamy white queso dip only has five ingredients, and is so easy to make.
- 1 tablespoon fresh jalapeno peppers, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno juice (from jar of jalapeno slices)
- 1 pint half and half
- ¾ pound white American cheese, cubed
- ½ teaspoon taco seasoning
For garnish (optional)
- Fresh jalapeno slices and/or fresh cilantro
- Diced tomatoes
- Crumbled queso fresco
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add fresh jalapenos and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the jalapeno juice. Cook until it just starts to begin to boil, then turn the heat to low.
- Add the half and half and stir.
- Add the cheese and allow it to melt into the half and half on low heat. Whisk constantly to keep it from scorching, until melted through, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add taco seasoning. Stir and taste.
- Serve warm with your favorite tortilla chips for dipping.