Cilantro Lime Cole Slaw
Looking for an easy coleslaw recipe that pairs perfectly with Mexican food? This easy cilantro lime slaw recipe is the one!
I love BIG flavors when I make Mexican food at home! My family loves taco night, and this Cilantro Lime Slaw is a staple at our house. It’s a great side dish for tacos, burritos or enchiladas!
As a bonus, this Cilantro Lime Slaw recipe is super easy to make! Just grab a bag of coleslaw mix, a bunch of cilantro and some limes and you are on your way to a tangy coleslaw in just about 5 minutes.
“I’ve made this many times and love it. It also makes a great bed for fish tacos.”Linda S, Yummly User
- Serve on top of spicy shrimp tacos or your favorite fish taco recipe
- On pulled pork sandwiches, or barbecue chicken sandwiches
- Mixed into burrito bowls with smashed avocado
If you’re looking for a super sweet, vinegar slaw to serve with BBQ, try my Southern Coleslaw recipe.
If you do not have lime juice, you can substitute white vinegar, red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
Use any type of cabbage. You’ll need roughly 3 cups.
“This was great for my pulled pork tacos. I added 1/2 cup of diced fresh pineapple and increased the sugar to two tablespoons. Shame on us but we like sweet.”Johnson, Yummly User
- Spicy Coleslaw Recipe: Add 1/2 of a fresh jalapeno (diced) to the dressing ingredients, and let it sit for 5 minutes before combining with the coleslaw mix.
- Garlic Cilantro Lime Slaw: Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder to the dressing for garlicky flavor.
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Slaw: To make a creamy dressing, add 1/2 cup of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to the dressing and whisk vigorously.
- Zesty Cilantro Lime Slaw: Add a teaspoon of taco seasoning to the slaw dressing.
- Other ideas: Diced red bell pepper, fresh corn kernels, fresh chopped pineapple.
Storing Leftover Cilantro Lime Slaw:
Store leftover coleslaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
For the Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- ¼ red onion or yellow onion, sliced into very fine strips
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar or Splenda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
For the cabbage slaw mix:
- 8 ounces coleslaw mix (green cabbage with carrots)
- 4 ounces shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, add coleslaw mix, purple cabbage, onion, cilantro and green onions. toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, prepare the coleslaw dressing. Add onions, lime juice, olive oil, sugar/splenda, salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously and allow it to rest for 2-3 minutes to allow the lime juice to mellow out the onions.
- Pour dressing onto slaw mix, stir and cover. allow to rest in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Stir again, and serve.
For this recipe, I used coleslaw mix that had green and red cabbage as well as shredded carrots. You can absolutely shred your a head of cabbage (either color) instead using a sharp knife or grater. You'll need roughly 3 total cups of packed, shredded cabbage.
For extra lime flavor, add a bit of lime zest to the mix.
Make it spicy with a few shakes of hot sauce, a pinch of red pepper flakes or ½ of a diced jalapeno pepper.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 186Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 5mgSodium 200mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 3gSugar 10gProtein 2g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app and may be incorrect.
Love this Cilantro Lime Slaw? I think you’ll also love these recipes:
- Cabbage, Radish and Apple Cole Slaw
- Cranberry Pecan Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon (Keto Salad)