This recipe is sponsored by the Missouri Beef Council. Thank you for supporting the organization’s I love that make this blog possible. All opinions remain my own.
Adobo Beef Tostadas use pantry ingredients to spice up taco night with a rich, smoky flavor. No seasoning packets needed!
We are two weeks into Kindergarten, and I’m definitely starting to understand the stress that comes with back-to-school! So far, we’ve had something in the evening almost every night since my son started school. Parent orientation, PTA meetings, soccer practice, and so on! I’ve always placed priority on quick and easy weeknight meals here at Blackberry Babe because when I came home from work, I was tired. Now, quick and easy dinners are even more important. They allow us to quickly eat a nutritious meal as a family before we have to head back out the door!
Speaking of quick and easy meals, like most families, we have tacos quite a bit! But, my husband gets tired of normal tacos, so I do try to spice it up. It’s easy to convert your normal taco meal into nachos or tostadas, so we do that quite often. But, I also like to experiment with the meat! Ground beef is our preferred filling for tacos and tostadas, because it is affordable, high in iron, vitamin B6 and B12, and my son loves it!
Instead of using a traditional taco seasoning packet, I simmered the ground beef for these Adobo Beef Tostadas in a fragrant liquid made with enchilada sauce, adobo sauce, lime juice and spices. The result? A rich, smoky beef taco filling that my husband absolutely loved! And as a major bonus, the beef in this recipe – just like all beef – is nutritious and protein-packed, so I can rest assured my son is growing and developing both physically and cognitively.
You can top these Adobo Beef Tostadas however you like. I love to top them as you would in Mexico, with a squeeze of lime, some chopped white onion, cilantro and Mexican crema. But, they’re perfect with the traditional toppings of lettuce, cheddar cheese and sour cream! If you’re feeling adventurous, top them with my Cilantro Lime Coleslaw. The light, acidic bite of the slaw nicely balances the deep, smoky flavor of the adobo beef.
I love to pair this with my Cilantro Lime Brown Rice as well to round out the meal. I hope that you enjoy this Adobo Beef Tostada recipe, and that back-to-school goes well for you and your family!
- 12 tostada shells
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ small white onion, diced
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 4 tbsp adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to skillet and heat on medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute for 1-2 minutes, until barely softened.
- Add beef and saute for 5-6 minutes
- Carefully drain any grease in the skillet from the beef, and return to stove.
- Add enchilada sauce, adobo sauce, lime juice and spices to beef. Cook on medium-high heat until bubbling, stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to medium-low, and allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thick.
- When ready to serve, heat up the tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave, then top with a small scoop of the beef and toppings of choice.
The adobo sauce can be quite spicy depending on the brand used. You may want to start with adding half the recommended amount and taste before proceeding.