You only need five simple ingredients for this Cilantro Lime Brown Rice! Serve with your favorite protein or as a healthy addition to taco night!
Of all the recipes I share here on Blackberry Babe, I enjoy sharing side dishes the most. I have no clue why. Maybe because they're the underdogs of dinner? People focus on the main course, and the sides are often an afterthought.
Having a small list of go-to side dishes is something every cook can use, and I have shared quite a few of mine. This Cream Cheese Corn Casserole is ALWAYS a hit! And this no-mayo coleslaw is a family favorite. When I need something healthy, I always make Cilantro Lime Coleslaw as a side or a topping for taco night!
The Cilantro Lime Coleslaw was actually an inspiration for this Cilantro Lime Brown Rice! I love cilantro lime ANYTHING, and I try to substitute brown rice for white rice whenever possible. If I'm being honest with you, I still don't love brown rice more than white rice. But, it's a calorie saver and a good swap to make. When I spice it up with lime juice and cilantro, I don't even miss my white rice!
This Cilantro Lime Brown Rice is wholesome and simple, with only five ingredients. Get it started before you work on your protein and it will be ready in time, because it takes about 20 minutes! Add the cilantro after the rice has had a few minutes to cool down, because it tastes best when it's fresh.
Right before serving is the perfect time for the cilantro. I love to serve this mexican brown rice with grilled chicken or salmon, or as a side dish for taco night! I hope that you and your family enjoy!
- 4.5 cups low sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 cups medium grain brown rice (not instant)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- In a medium size saucepan, add chicken broth (or water) and butter. Bring to boil.
- Add rice. Reduce to low and cover. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove from heat.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Stir in lime zest, lime juice and cilantro just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110