This Asian Chicken Rice Bowl uses lean ground chicken breast and is ready in about 20 minutes! These Asian Chicken Rice Bowls are a great meal prep solution.
I've really been focused on easy weeknight meals like this Asian Chicken Rice Bowl lately because I feel SO crunched for time! I just got a promotion at work, but of course that means more responsibility.
I've been focused on easy recipes and making Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps a bunch, but I made them SO much that we got a bit tired of them. So, I took that same concept and switched it to a rice bowl, and it's a hit! We've made this Asian Chicken Rice Bowl recipe THREE TIMES in the past two weeks. This recipe is awesome for meal prep. You can cook once and eat well the entire week!
"This was quick, easy and tasty. My kiddo had seconds."- Magda
This Asian Chicken Rice Bowl recipe uses ground chicken breast, but you could always substitute lean ground turkey, or pre-cook some chunks of chicken breast before you start the recipe. You only need a quick sauté to brown the ground chicken, which is why I love using it!
"This is the recipe I have been searching for! We just finished eating dinner and it was fabulous! Such an authentic Asian food taste. Would not change a thing! I did, however, serve with some stir fried veggies and we ate everything in lettuce wraps. So yummy!"Lauren, blog comment
For the sauce, I use three popular asian sauces to make a sweet and thick sauce. Soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and hoisin sauce are three incredible asian flavors that taste delicious when combined.
Most similar recipes published are Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls, this recipe will deviate a bit on flavor. The sauce is more comparable Mongolian Chicken or Beef sauce.
For the rice, used jasmine rice. But you could certainly use brown rice, white rice or cauliflower rice to meet your dietary needs! For garnish, I like to use green onions and sesame seeds.
The most frequent criticism of this recipe is that it's too simple. Consider these Asian Rice Bowls as a BASE for an awesome, easy recipe that you can modify based on what you have on hand! This is the type of recipe that can easily accommodate substitutions or additions.
(Pssssttt… This recipe is one of the Top 5 on my site! Check out the others in this video.)
"Looove this recipe! Added crushed peanuts, carrots, & peas. SO GOOD! Thank you! 😀"- Soni K. on Pinterest
What Vegetables Can I add to this Asian Chicken Rice Bowl?
If you add additional vegetables, dice them to a small size. Add the oil to the skillet and quickly saute frozen or fresh vegetables right for 1-2 minutes before you add the ground chicken. Here is a list of ingredients that are AWESOME to add to this bowl!
- Bell peppers, red bell pepper is my favorite (diced small)
- Mushrooms (toughly chopped)
- A splash of rice vinegar for the sauce
- Green beans (cut in half)
- Carrots (diced small)
"This is SO good! I cook with ground turkey all the time; it's nice to have a new recipe!- CJ, blog comment
Common Substitutions for this recipe:
- Instead of sesame seed oil, use olive oil or vegetable oil
- Instead of jasmine rice, use brown rice, cauliflower rice or white rice
- Instead of rice, eat the meat (and any added veggies) in lettuce wraps
- Instead of ground chicken, use ground turkey or lean ground beef. You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken. Just toss in the skillet with the sauce and cooked vegetables!
- To add spice, add crushed red pepper flakes or a splash or hot sauce. You'll just need a little bit, because there is a kick of heat in the sauce thanks to the sweet chili sauce!
- If you'd like extra or leftover sauce, double the sauce ingredients.
- If you'd like to add sweetness, add ½ tablespoon brown sugar at a time to taste.
For garnish, you have several options! Sprinkle chicken with:
- Crushed peanuts
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped green onions
Need other easy weeknight recipes like this Asian Chicken Bowl? I love these recipes:
- Vietnamese Pork Bowl
- Sriracha Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa
- Sweet Chili Shrimp
- Crispy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Slaw
- Baked Baja Fish Tacos
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ small white onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups jasmine rice, cooked
- Optional garnish: diced green onions, sesame seeds
- Into a large skillet, add sesame oil and heat on medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes. If you are adding vegetables to the recipe, add them now.
- Add ground chicken breast to skillet and sauté over high heat until cooked through, 3-5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sweet chili sauce, ginger and garlic powder. Stir until the chicken is well coated in sauce.
- Spoon rice, then chicken into bowls. Garnish with diced green onions or sesame seeds (optional).
- Serve while hot.
- *If lean chicken breast is used, there should not be much grease in the pan. If there is, carefully drain some of it off before adding the sauces.
- There is a list of possible additions and substitutions in the body of this post.
- Sauté any extra vegetables along with the onions!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 1167mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 42g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app, and may be incorrect.