Easy Broccoli Slaw with Creamy Homemade Dressing
This easy Broccoli Slaw recipe is an awesome summer side dish! Apples and crisp broccoli slaw are mixed with chopped jalapeno, cilantro and a creamy, tangy dressing.
The inspiration for this broccoli slaw salad came from a local BBQ restaurant here in Kansas City. One of their side dishes is a jalapeno apple coleslaw, and it’s delicious! It covers all of the flavor notes; spicy pops of jalapenos, sweet and crunchy apples, and a tangy creamy dressing! I decided to adapt their recipe to use in this easy broccoli slaw recipe.
Using broccoli instead of cabbage is a nice change and adds different textures to this recipe. I think the crunchy and sweet veggies are the perfect combination with the tangy dressing! This recipe is definitely an easy crowd-pleaser! You can enjoy it year round, but I think it’s best in the warm summer months paired with some taste barbecue.
So, what is broccoli slaw made of? Well, it’s just shredded broccoli stems cut into thin matchsticks! You can find it bagged in the produce section of most grocery stores, or you can make your own using discarded broccoli stalks and a box grater! Just save them the next time you’re cutting off broccoli florets for dinner instead of throwing your fresh broccoli stems in the trash.
Substitutions and Additions
This recipe is super versatile! I think the best kind of recipes are the ones that use ingredients you already have at home. Here are a few ingredient substitution suggestions, as well as some ideas for ingredient additions:
- Substitute green cabbage or red cabbage for some or all of the shredded broccoli
- Substitute lemon juice for the lime juice. Or, use a mild vinegar of your choice.
- Instead of, or in addition to the cilantro, use green onions
- Substitute any variety of onion or shallot for the red onion.
- Substitute honey or maple syrup for the sugar inn this recipe.
- Substitute vegan mayo or unflavored Greek yogurt for the mayo if needed.
- Add a squeeze of Dijon mustard to the coleslaw dressing.
- Top with crunchy sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
- Add dried cranberries or any dried fruit you have available
- Add bacon bits for crunch and salty flavor.
Also, you can omit sugar completely to make the recipe low carb and keto friendly.
This crunchy broccoli slaw is the perfect side dish with BBQ chicken or pork steaks! It’s also a wonderful topping for pulled pork, pulled pork sandwiches or grilled hot dogs! I use it anywhere I’d use traditional coleslaw!
I like to serve this recipe chilled if possible.
Storing Leftover Creamy Broccoli Slaw
Store leftover broccoli coleslaw in an airtight container for 1-2 days. Serve cold.
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw mix (12 ounce bag), or shredded cabbage mix
- 1 apple, sliced into thin matchstick pieces
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin
- ¼ jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
For the broccoli slaw dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Combine apple, broccoli slaw, jalapeno and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and whisk well to combine.
- Add dressing to apple and broccoli mix. Toss well to combine. Allow to rest in the refrigerator until serving.
- Serve cold.
I used packaged broccoli slaw for this, but you can make your own! Just save your broccoli stems and shred them with a box grater or vegetable peeler. This easy recipe is a great way to reduce food waste in the kitchen.