These Hibachi Steak Lettuce Wraps are a quick and easy dinner when you’re pinched for time! Quick cooked steak, rice and yum yum sauce are wrapped in lettuce leaves.
I have really been struggling with dinner lately! My husband has been traveling a ton for work, which then adds to my daily workload on the home front. It’s hard for me to justify a cooking a big meal when it’s just my son and me. We’ve been doing a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and mac and cheese. Just the easy stuff that I know my 3-year old will eat!
Last Thursday, my son looked at me and said, “Mama, I want a steak!” It cracked me up, but truly, the boy loves his red meat. And he was obviously tired of PB&J! After I picked him up from school, we ran by the store to pick up some steak. It was way too cold to fire up the grill, so I decided to cook the steak inside, hibachi style.
And through a little creativity these Hibachi Steak Lettuce Wraps were born. And oh my gosh, are they ever good!
Cooking up the steak in the skillet is a VERY quick process since the steak is sliced into bite sized pieces. I love this recipe not just because it’s quick, but because it uses very simple ingredients; lettuce, steak, butter, and soy sauce are the base of this recipe.
I beefed up the ingredients by making some rice as well, which is optional!On the steak lettuce wraps, I layered cooked wild rice, the steak hot from the skillet, and topped it with green onion and a bit of yum yum sauce! Absolutely delish!
This Hibachi Steak Lettuce Wrap recipe is one that saves very well for leftovers. I had a bit of steak and rice left, so I mixed them together and packed them for my lunch the next day! It reheated beautifully and gave me an easy, healthy lunch.
I should note that for the yum yum sauce, I had some pre-made sauce from a local restaurant.
It’s pretty easy to find in grocery stores or Amazon these days. If you prefer, you can make it in less than 5 minutes using this delicious recipe.
- 16 ounces steak, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/8 tsp salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 box Uncle Ben’s® Long Grain & Wild Rice, Fast Cook Recipe
- 5 tbsp yum yum sauce (see notes)
- lettuce leaves, for wraps
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In large skillet, heat oil on medium high until it just begins to smoke.
- Season steak pieces with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add to hot skillet. Allow to sear for 1 to 1.5 minutes, or until the side is lightly caramelized, then flip each piece and sear for another 1 to 1.5 minutes. Add butter and soy sauce, saute for up to a minute until the butter is melted. This should get the steak to about medium rare (using 1 minute on each side) or medium well (using 1.5 minutes on each side).
- In each lettuce leaf, layer rice, steak and yum yum sauce. Serve while steak is still hot.
- Yum Yum sauce is a creamy mayonnaise based sauce served at Japanese steakhouses. I typically keep a bottle of it in my refrigerator, because we use it a lot. You can also make it on your own in about 5 minutes by following this yummy recipe: http://pinchofyum.com/yum-yum-sauce. Or, try a sriracha aioli which is fairly easy to find these days in the condiment aisle.