This Baked Salmon with Cranberry Thyme Crust is a simple and elegant salmon recipe, perfect for fall! This salmon recipe is easily made gluten free and will quickly become a favorite!
I tend to think of salmon as a summer food. We grill and smoke salmon a lot, but I don't cook it inside a lot! This Baked Salmon with Cranberry Thyme Crust brings fall and winter flavors into the mix. The crust is infused with cranberry, thyme, rosemary and lemon. The flavors are delicious!
This is a baked salmon recipe. I typically advocate for searing protein before you cook it, but the crust on this salmon recipe crisps up super nicely without having to do any type of searing!
The crust is easy to whip together and features some of my favorite things! Dried cranberries, thyme, lemon, butter, green onion and panko crumbs! You can also use traditional bread crumbs, but if you need to buy bread crumbs, buy panko! They're just crispier. And crispy is good!
I picture this salmon as the main course served with some hearty side dishes. Maybe some crispy roasted potatoes, or roasted rainbow carrots or roasted brussels sprouts! Or, if you don't feel like roasting, I think a raw brussels sprouts dish like Cranberry Pecan Brussels Sprouts Salad or Kale Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples and Bacon would be excellent!
If you've been following Blackberry Babe for a while, you know that I'm a BIG fan of using what you have on hand. Here are a few ways to adjust this recipe and use what you have on hand!
- This recipe is easily customized for gluten free diets. Just use gluten free panko bread crumbs!
- If you don't have dried cranberries, you can substitute different dried berries. Just make sure to dice it up into small pieces if it's a larger fruit.
- If you don't have thyme, you can substitute oregano, basil or rosemary
- Margarine or vegan butter can be substituted for butter.
- Traditional breadcrumbs can be used in place of panko breadcrumbs.
I hope that you enjoy this Baked Salmon with Cranberry Thyme Crust recipe! If you enjoy this salmon recipe, I think you will also enjoy these salmon recipes:
- Salmon Meunière
- Glazed Praline Salmon
- Herb Crusted Salmon with Tomato Relish
- Jerk Salmon with Tropical Salsa
- 4 6-7 ounce salmon filets
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter, melted, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle flesh of salmon with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon skin side down on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine panko bread crumbs, chopped cranberries, diced green onions, 2 tbsp of melted butter, lemon juice and ⅛ tsp each of salt and pepper. Stir with a fork until well combined and bread crumbs are moistened.
- Divide the bread crumb mixture equally and spoon onto the flesh side of the salmon. Spread and press the mixture onto the salmon, covering the entire surface area.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the topping is golden.