Old Fashioned Ham and Cabbage Soup
Old Fashioned Ham and Cabbage Soup is ready in about 45 minutes! This soup recipe is a great way to use up leftover ham, is gluten free and keto friendly.
Staying at home this year has proved to be a challenge in so many ways! One thing that been a particular challenge for me is groceries! I am having to be more resourceful and use what I have, considering limited inventory in the stores. This is a bit hard for me. I’m “that person” that goes to the grocery store 5 times a week! But, I’m getting there. Last week, I found myself the proud owner of two heads of cabbage and quickly learned that my family can only tolerate so much coleslaw. So, I whipped up this Ham and Cabbage Soup (with potatoes)!
This Ham and Cabbage Soup actually took care of two problems for me; leftover ham from Easter, and my overabundance of cabbage!
I was surprised at how easy it was. It’s a hearty, simple soup but the ham gives it a LOT of good flavor!
If you’d like to customize this soup with additional vegetables, dice them small and add them alongside your onions. Carrots, celery, peas, mushrooms and green beans would all be welcome additions!
To make this soup keto friendly, simply omit the potato. Instead of potato, try diced mushrooms!
If you have a leftover ham bone from your ham, keep it! You can use it to make simple ham stock, and replace the stock in this soup with your homemade stock. I think ham stock is one of the simplest and tastiest stocks you can make at home.
If you love this Ham and Cabbage Soup, I think you’ll also enjoy:
- How to Cook the Perfect Ham for Easter
- 9 Creative Recipes that use Leftover Ham
- Cherry Smoked Ham with Bourbon Mustard Glaze
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Creamy Tortellini Soup with Carrots and Leeks
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced*
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon dried mustard
- 2-3 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1.5 cups ham, cubed into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons parsley, dried
- ½ teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon green onion, diced
- Add olive oil to large saucepot and heat on medium high heat.
- Once oil is heated, add onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, black pepper, dried mustard, cabbage, potato and ham to the pot, stir well to combine.
- Bring it to a boil, cover the pot, and reduce to low heat. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.**
- Uncover the soup, and stir in parsley, caraway seeds and green onion.
- Serve hot!
*Or, add 1 tsp garlic powder along with the black pepper.
**After the potatoes are tender, you can choose to lightly mashed them by gently working a potato masher through the soup. This will help to thicken the soup naturally. Totally optional!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 692Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 223mgSodium 833mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 7gSugar 10gProtein 66g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app and may be incorrect.