Crispy Corn Cakes
These Crispy Corn Cakes are made with simple ingredients and ready in about 15 minutes. These Crispy Corn Cakes are made with simple ingredients and ready in about 15 minutes! Add cheese, bacon and diced jalapeno for extra flavor!
Summer is on the way and that means that corn will make it’s reappearance! We’ve made a few efforts of buying fresh corn in the store this spring, and it’s still too early. It’s just not good, yet. Luckily, while I’m waiting for summer sweet corn to arrive, I can use canned corn to put together these Crispy Corn Cakes!
Whipping up these corn cakes is super easy to do. Frying them can be a little tricky, mostly because they are prone to falling apart before you achieve crispiness on one side. When you first put them in the pan, it’s very important to have sizzling hot oil, so that the cake will quickly brown.
This corn cakes recipe is customizable, as is any recipe, but I’ve put together some suggestions below!
- Omit the jalapeno peppers if they are too spicy. Consider adding a dash of hot sauce or a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes instead. Or, dice up about one quarter of a red bell pepper and add in place of the jalapeno. It’s delicious!
- Switch up the cheese! Cheddar is what I call for and it’s excellent, as is colby jack. Consider a blend of mozzarella and parmesan. I would NOT recommend doing 100% Parmesan, since it’s a harder cheese, but it tastes great sprinkled on the top!
- Feel free to omit the bacon if you’re avoiding meat.
- I love to top these with fresh green onions/chives. They are also great added to the batter!
I think these Crispy Corn Cakes would make a great side dish for:
A good non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet is essential for this recipe. This one is my go-to!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 15 ounces corn (one can, drained)
- ¼ cup bacon, cooked, crumbled (optional)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, diced (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder. Once combined, add flour and whisk into wet mixture until incorporated.
- Add corn, shredded cheese, bacon and jalapeno.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Once the oil starts to sizzle, add scoops of the corn mixture using ice cream scoop or large spoon.
- Once in the pan, flatten the dollops out slightly, pressing very gently, careful not to break them apart.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the first side has browned, then flip and cook on the other side until browned.
- Once browned, remove the cakes on a paper towel lined plate to drain before serving.
Garnish with ranch, sour cream, chives
- Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Grilled Corn On the Cob in Foil
- Crockpot Corn Chowder
- Sweet Corn Spoon Bread
- Fresh Mexican Corn Casserole
- Cream Cheese Corn Casserole with Green Chiles
- Jalapeno Bacon Wrapped Corn on the Cob