This Blackberry Custard Pie is creamy and SO delicious. It's filled with fresh, tart blackberries and sweet custard.
It probably comes as absolutely no surprise that I love blackberries! I named my blog after them, after all. Good, fresh blackberries are only here for a brief period during the summer, but when they're ripe and at farmer's markets, I take full advantage and use them in every dang thing I make! I developed this Blackberry Custard Pie as a combination of two of my more popular dessert recipes here at Blackberry Babe, this Blackberry Crumble Cake and this Cranberry Buttermilk Pie.
In this recipe, we combine tart, fresh blackberries with a sweet custard. The custard really helps to cut the acidity of the berries. The blackberry juice seeps into the custard and forms a beautiful purple swirl throughout the pie filling.
This Blackberry Custard Pie is SERIOUSLY a showstopper, and perfect for your upcoming special occasion or Sunday Supper! It's just unique enough to be different and memorable!
In this recipe, I topped the pie with crust, which is why you need to purchase two pre-made pie dough shells. If you're calorie conscious, you can ALWAYS forgo the top layer of pie crust.
But, if you omit the top layer of crust, check on the pie every 5-10 minutes to see how the custard is faring. If it starts to brown, loosely tent the pie with a sheet of aluminum foil to protect the more delicate custard layer from burning.
I hope that you love this Blackberry Custard Pie! It was definitely a hit in my house! I look forward to making it again when blackberries arrive at our farmer's market.
Blackberry Custard Pie
This Blackberry Custard Pie is creamy and SO delicious. It’s filled with fresh, tart blackberries and sweet custard.
- 2 store-bought or homemade pie crusts
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray 9-inch pie dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Position 1 unbaked crust into the bottom of the pie pan, trimming the edges if necessary.
- Arrange blackberries into the bottom of the crust.
- To make the custard filling, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk in your blender. Blend until smooth, about 45 seconds.
- Pour custard over blackberries.
- Top berries with remaining pie crust and crimp the edges to seal. Cut an “X” into the center of the top crust for steam to escape while baking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water.
- Brush the top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Lightly cover pie with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 258Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 95mgSodium 294mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 4gSugar 25gProtein 7g
If you love berry desserts like me, I know you'll love these other recipes too.
If you like a more adventurous pie, you might want to try my Butternut Squash Pie! Or, if you're a chocolate lover, I recommend this Chocolate Chess Pie!
Monday 29th of August 2022
I made this pie for my Bookclub. It was the easiest pie I have ever made! Everyone loved it. I will defiantly make it again, maybe with some other berries or fruit.
Tuesday 6th of September 2022
Hi Kathleen- Thank you for reporting back! I'm so happy it turned out well for you. I have successfully used blueberries! I think a berry mix would be awesome too.
The Best Fresh And Frozen Blackberry Recipes
Monday 19th of July 2021
[…] Custard Pie : … or this blackberry custard pie with its super creamy […]
13 Easy Homemade Pies - Delicious Pie Recipes | Everything You Need For A Happy Life
Tuesday 26th of May 2020
[…] Check It here. […]
14 Best Homemade Pies - Delicious Pie Recipes
Friday 20th of December 2019
[…] Check It here. […]
Mini Blueberry Pies - Recipe by Blackberry Babe
Sunday 24th of November 2019
[…] Blackberry Custard Pie - Blackberry Babe says: June 11, 2019 at 1:42 am […]