This Deep Dish Strawberry Pie recipe uses a ton of fresh strawberries and a simple homemade gelatin filling.
A few weeks ago, I made a special recipe that reminded me of my Mom, this Lemon Poppyseed Cheesecake. Today, this post and recipe is ALL about my Dad, whose favorite dessert is Strawberry Pie! I brought this pie for our Easter celebration, and really wanted to do it up right. My Dad had bypass surgery a few years back, and is very careful about his diet now. When he eats dessert, it needs to be worth it! I read the top strawberry pie recipes, and then read ALL the top comments to come up with this particular deep dish strawberry pie recipe.
This is a deep dish strawberry pie, meaning it's absolutely LOADED with berries. It took about a 2 lb box of strawberries to fill my deep dish pie crust. This pie is SO simple to make, you essentially prebake a ready made pie crust (or make your own, if you must). Then, you slice the strawberries and fill the pie shell with them in any design you choose. Then, you make a super simple strawberry gelatin filling using water, ginger ale (my secret ingredient!), corn starch, sugar, and mashed strawberries. This gelatin filling takes about 15 minutes on the stovetop, then you simply dump the gelatin into the pie crust, and let the pie set in the refrigerator for at least a few hours. I think overnight is best to make sure the gelatin is completely set and jiggly!
I'm seeing strawberries on super sale right now, so grab some up and make this special pie for your family! I hope you love it.
- 1 pre-baked deep dish 9'' pie crust
- 4-5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup mashed strawberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup ginger ale
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoon corn starch
- Arrange 4-5 cups sliced fresh strawberries in pre-baked pie shell.
- Add ginger ale, mashed strawberries and sugar to medium sauce pan. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low-medium. Mix water with corn starch, then dump water/corn starch paste into sauce pan. Allow to simmer on low for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour strawberry liquid over fresh strawberries in pie pan.
- Place in refrigerator for several hours, or ideally overnight to allow gelatin to set. Serve with whipped cream.