This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Dr Pepper. All opinions are my own. #OneOfAKindFan
You’ll be the hero of your next tailgate for bringing this easy yet decadent bite-sized dessert! Only three ingredients needed.
I consider my family to be fairly seasoned tailgaters. We held season tickets for our local pro team for a long time, and frequented my favorite college team’s games all throughout my childhood. Here, people tailgate rain or shine, summer or dead of winter. It’s not uncommon to see fans show up at 8 a.m. in the snow with hunting gear and layers on to stay warm. To me, the tailgate is the best part of football season, and it’s ALL about the food!
My role at our tailgates has always been to bring the dessert. Dessert is often overlooked in a tailgating scenario, forgotten for the more savory meats, sides and dips. This makes it even more important that someone brings it, and knocks it out of the park!
When you’re bringing a dessert to a tailgate, consider a few things. It likely needs to be hand held and doesn’t require a fork or additional plates. Ideally it isn’t very messy. And, following recent trends for outrageous tailgate recipes (bacon explosion, anyone?), your dessert ideally has a fun twist to it! I stopped by Target to pick up the ingredients for this recipe, including some festive football-branded Dr Pepper cans!
These mini chocolate cherry cake bites are usually made with only three ingredients. The cake mix is mixed with a can of Dr Pepper and baked in a mini muffin tin. No other ingredients needed. This makes a delicious, moist cake bite and the Dr Pepper adds its legendary complex flavor to the cake. I always taste a hint of cherry, which is why I incorporated cherries into this recipe! And, since you don’t use eggs, you can eat the batter to your hearts content!
These mini cake bites are topped with maraschino cherries and a very simple, sweet cherry and Dr Pepper glaze. They are sticky, rich and delicious! The perfect tailgating treat.
For a limited time, download the Cartwheel app by Target to find an offer on Dr Pepper. From Nov. 1 - Dec. 12, use Cartwheel to receive 5% off of 12-packs and 2-liters of Dr Pepper or 10% off of 6 or 8-packs of bottles and cans.
You can also visit this page for more Dr Pepper inspired recipes, perfect for football season! #CollectiveBias
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 16 ounces Dr Pepper or Dr Pepper Cherry
- 2 jars maraschino cherries
For the cake bites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 12 ounces of Dr Pepper or Dr Pepper Cherry and the cake mix. Stir well, until there is no dry cake mix left.
- Spoon one tablespoon of batter into each cavity of a mini muffin pan. Mini muffin pans typically have 24 cavities in each pan.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes, until the top of each cake bite is firm.
- Press one maraschino cherry into each cake bite while it is still warm.
For the glaze
- In a small sauce pan, add 4 ounces of Dr Pepper and 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice from the jar. Bring to a simmer, and reduce for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Drizzle glaze over finished cake bites, and serve.