Easy Pepperoni Pizza Casserole Recipe (Weeknight Favorite)
This easy pizza casserole recipe is topped with loads of pepperoni slices and melty cheese! It’s an easy weeknight meal that’s a real crowd pleaser.
Back to school is here and I am feeling the pressure! We’re back to busy weeknights filled with practices and school activities. I’m starting to plan ahead for easy meals like this pizza pasta casserole recipe.
This is an easy casserole recipe that the entire family loves and will scarf down. And, it’s not too hard for me to assemble ahead of time!
I love this recipe for because it’s a super fun twist on pizza night! It’s basically pizza in pasta form.
This recipe has become a family favorite. It’s quick to put together, and while the pasta bakes I can catch up on dishes or other household chores!
For this easy recipe, all you’ll need is a 9×13” baking dish and simple ingredients. A box of pasta, some tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni. It truly could not be easier!
Pizza Casserole Recipe Substitutions:
Use pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce instead of marinara, but omit the Italian seasoning.
Use any kind of pasta, just remember to cook it for 2 minutes less than the package directions. I really prefer using a “tube” pasta shape to allow some of the pasta sauce to work it’s way into the noodle.
Recipe Additions and Modifications:
You can absolutely make this easy dinner your own! I’ve kept it simple, considering my picky eater at home. But, here are some ideas for modifications:
Meat Lovers Pizza: Add 1 pound cooked, crumbled ground beef, Italian sausage, ground sausage, pork sausage or ground turkey to compliment the pepperoni.
Veggie Lovers Pizza: Mix diced onions, mushrooms, green bell peppers and/or red bell peppers into the pasta. Consider topping with black olives or sliced banana peppers on top of the casserole.
Cheese Lovers Pizza: Add lots of cheese to the top and/or Parmesan cheese.
Keto Pizza Casserole Recipe: Substitute 2-3 cups of zucchini chunks for the pasta.
Any of your favorite pizza toppings will work!
Looking for more easy dinner ideas? Check out all my main course recipes on Blackberry Babe.
Pizza Casserole Serving Suggestions:
I think serving this casserole with a simple salad is the right move! It’s a great way to round out this easy dinner recipe with some fresh greens.
Need more side dish ideas? Check out 15+ Healthy Side Dishes for Pizza!
I think this pizza bake is even better the next day! Just cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, or place leftover individual slices in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If reheating an individual slice, use the microwave in one minute increments. You can also reheat in the oven at 350 degrees. I’d recommend keeping it covered with aluminum foil to keep the casserole from drying out.
- 16 ounces of uncooked penne pasta, cavatappi pasta or rigatoni pasta
- 4 cups marinara sauce (see notes below for homemade options)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 11 ounces pepperoni, divided
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Prep: Prepare a 9x13'' casserole dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Move your oven rack 1 up from the middle rack position.
- Cook pasta: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add dry pasta. Boil pasta for 2 minutes less than the suggested directions. Strain pasta and return to the pot.
- Assemble casserole. To the cooked pasta, stir in the marinara sauce and seasoning. Add about half of pepperoni and half of the shredded cheese. You will need about 35 pepperonis for the topping.
- Once mixed, pour mixture to the 9x13 dish and smooth out with a spatula. Top with the remaining mozzarella and pepperoni.
- Bake: Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. If desired, broil for the last 2-3 minutes to let the pepperoni crisp and brown the cheese.
Homemade Sauce Options:
If you have a lot of time, you can make my Red Wine Marinara Sauce (so good)!
If you're pressed on time, but want to make a homemade sauce, try this easy recipe:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 38 ounces whole tomatoes, canned
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon oregano, dried
- ½ teaspoon basil, dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
Add the olive oil to a large sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Then, add tomatoes, sugar, oregano, basil and salt. Allow to simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, then add to recipe.