Easy Grilled Pizza Burgers
This Pizza Burger Recipe is sure to be enjoyed by the entire family! It’s a great old school lunch favorite, upgraded with quality ingredients.
This post is sponsored by Laura’s Lean. All opinions remain mine alone.
I’m told that many of you enjoyed pizza burgers for school lunches in elementary school or high school! I was never that lucky, but I’m glad I get to enjoy these easy pizza burgers as an adult. We like to make these homemade Pizza Burgers for a quick weeknight dinner, and it’s become one of our favorite recipes!
I prefer open-faced pizza burgers with a nice buttered, toasted bun. But, you can of course eat this pizza burgers recipe in the traditional way, with two buns.
Looking for more great recipes? Check out the rest of my grilled recipes!
For the burger patty, I used Laura’s Lean ground beef! Laura’s Lean is natural, coming from cattle that have been raised with no added hormones or antibiotics. I love using Laura’s Lean because the founder, Laura Freeman, was a pioneer in the cattle industry!
She was one of the first ranchers that refused to use added hormones or antibiotics to speed the growth of her herd, and sought out to provide lean beef that met the USDA’s standards of lean, making the beef Heart-Check Certified, a great protein option for those that need to follow a lower fat diet.
Personally, I think that Laura’s Lean beef has great flavor, and I love that it’s so lean, I don’t have to drain fat when cooking with it! Laura’s Lean is available in 12,000 grocery stores nationwide, check here to find a store near you.
“The quality of our lives can’t be separated from the quality of our food.”Laura Freeman, Founder, Laura’s Lean
- Instead of buns, use toasted English muffins!
- If you don’t feel like grilling, I recommend using your air fryer! Air fry the patties at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes per side. Add the toppings and air fry for an additional minute, until the cheese is melted. Or, you can sear the patties in a large skillet or frying pan.
- Skip the bun entirely for a low carb option.
Serve these pizza burgers with Grilled Corn On the Cob in Foil or Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes with Parmesan and Rosemary.
Store leftover patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. I recommend reheating them on cookie sheets in the oven, or in your air fryer.
For the pizza burger patties:
- 1 pound Laura's Lean ground beef
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the toppings:
- 5 slices mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese
- 5 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 15-20 pepperoni slices
- 5 hamburger buns
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- fresh basil
- lettuce leaves
- your favorite pizza toppings (peppers, pineapple, etc)
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and prepare for both indirect and direct cooking.
- Make the hamburger mixture. To a large bowl, add all of the burger patty ingredients.
- Scoop up a couple of spoonfuls of the meat mixture and form into a patty, about the size of your palm. Place them on a baking sheet or platter to transport them outside to your grill.
- Grill burger patties over direct heat for 3-4 minutes per side, then transfer them to indirect heat.
- Carefully spoon 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce over each patty, then place a slice of cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Close the grill lid and allow the cheese to melt for 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully remove patties from the grill and transfer to a clean platter for serving.
- Prepare the buns: Melt butter, then brush on the inside of the hamburger bun halves.
- Place the buns cut-side down on the grill over indirect heat for 1-2 minutes, until slightly toasted.
- Assemble burgers and serve warm.