Roasted Greek Chicken Thighs with Charred Lemon and Fennel
This easy chicken thigh recipe is a simple sheet pan meal with TONS of flavor. This Greek lemon chicken is a healthy meal and a great recipe for weeknights!
This Baked Greek Chicken Thighs recipe is packed with goodness that’s in season and California Grown: fresh chicken, charred lemon and fennel, olive oil and fresh herbs!
Chicken thighs are my favorite cut of meat! The juicy, dark meat and crispy skin is so delicious. For this Greek chicken recipe, I kept it simple. No marinade needed!
By roasting the chicken thighs at a hot temperature, and finishing with a quick broil, we can make sure we get perfectly juicy chicken with crispy skin. Fennel and lemon are the perfect pairings for the Greek flavor of this dish.
You may be surprised that we’re including fennel but rest assured that the licorice flavor of the fennel totally mellows out when it’s roasted. It’s delicious, and I highly recommend you try it!
If you’re wondering what’s in season in California, check out this handy chart showing the seasons of some of the most popular California crops, so you know what to look for in the farmer’s market and grocery store.
California Grown is a program that connects consumers with people who grow and produce their food. It’s a great program that features farmers and their stories. They welcome you into their fields so one can fully understand where the food on your table comes from.
Greek Chicken Thighs Recipe Substitutions and Additions
Like with any recipe, feel free to add and adjust to make it yours! Here are a few suggestions:
- Sprinkle the dish with feta cheese before serving
- Add kalamata olives before serving
- Add garlic cloves to the sheet pan when you add the fennel. We love lots of garlic!
- Add cherry tomatoes when you add the lemon slices. They get blistered and juicy, making them a fantastic addition.
- Substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs and adjust the cook time down to 30 minutes.
- Substitute fresh parsley for fresh oregano.
Wondering what to serve with this delicious chicken recipe? Here are some suggestions for side dishes that pair perfectly!
- Cauliflower rice or rice pilaf
- Crusty fresh bread, Air Fryer Garlic Bread or Bisquick Cheddar Biscuits.
- Greek salad
- Mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes
- Roasted green beans or asparagus
I hope that you enjoy this easy recipe made with fresh, wholesome ingredients.
If you try it, remember to leave a comment below!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1.5- 2 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced into ½-inch, leafy tops removed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large lemons, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, roughly chopped
For the Greek spice rub:
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1.5 tablespoons basil
- 1.5 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1.5 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dill
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a large baking tray with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine spices for Greek seasoning.
- Rub the pieces of chicken with the spice rub, coating both sides of the raw meat.
- Add chicken to baking tray. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Add Fennel: Carefully remove the tray from the oven and add sliced fennel in a single layer. Sprinkle the fennel with salt and pepper and drizzle it with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Return to oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add Lemon: Remove the tray again and add the lemon slices and fresh herbs.
- Finish roasting for up to 10 minutes, or until the thickest part of the meat registers at an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit with an instant read meat thermometer
- Remove from oven and serve warm. Remember to pour the pan juices over the top of the tender chicken. The juice has so much flavor in it, so don't waste it!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 612Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 28gCholesterol 290mgSodium 821mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 56g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app, and may be incorrect.