This Easy Blueberry Cobbler recipe uses fresh blueberries and cake mix. It's an easy cobbler recipe that is a great option for using up juicy blueberries!
My secret to awesome Homemade Blueberry Cobbler? Cake mix! Cake mix cobbler is absolutely the easiest way to make a quick fruit cobbler.
When it's blueberry season and you are in the mood for a juicy blueberry dessert, this recipe is the one! I like to serve this delicious dessert warm with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on the side!
This Blueberry Cobbler Dump Cake is an easy dessert recipe! If this is your first dump cake style recipe, you might be surprised at how easily it comes together.
Substitutions and Additions for this Blueberry Cobbler recipe:
- Use a different flavor of cake mix: Substitute lemon cake mix or a box of yellow cake mix instead of the white cake mix.
- Mix in another type of juicy berries, like blackberries and raspberries. Fresh berries are best, but you can also use thawed, frozen berries.
- I think that between the amount of sugar in the filling and the cake mix, you don't need to add extra. But, if you want to, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the cake mix.
Can I use frozen fruit?
Yes! I think that fresh fruit is best in this delicious cobbler, but you can use frozen, thawed fruit!
Can I make this Easy Blueberry Dump cake ahead of time?
I wouldn’t recommended making it more than one day in advance. Most people tend to prefer dump cake when its fresh out of the oven like a warm fruit pie!
Do I have to premix my cake ingredients before putting them over the blueberries?
No. You can choose to add each ingredient separately over top of the blueberries in traditional dump cake fashion. I prefer to take the extra step of premixing the cake mix ingredients because I found that sometimes the cake mix stays dry in some spots.
Have leftover cobbler? Cover with plastic wrap or an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to two days.
For the blueberry filling:
- 2 cups blueberries, rinsed
- 1 21-ounce can of blueberry pie filling
For the cobbler topping:
- 1 15.25-ounce box of vanilla cake mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter (½ cup), melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (approx. 1 large lemon)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Grease a 9x13 cake pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add blueberries and blueberry pie filling to the bottom of the baking dish and stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cake mix, melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar, and stir until combined. Then, crumble and place the cake mix mixture over the top of the blueberry mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes until the cake mix topping starts to become golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.