Look no further for the BEST Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip! This easy smoked buffalo chicken dip recipe is smoked to perfection, giving it just the right amount of smokey flavor!
Here in Kansas City, we know how to barbecue. It's not unusual to see both a grill and a smoker fired up at someone's house, at the same time! We also LOVE classic Buffalo Chicken Dip, which is a super popular appetizer here in the Midwest! This creamy, spicy dip is a game day favorite, for sure. The next time you're cooking for the big game, fire up your smoker and make this dreamy buffalo dip!
The primary ingredient in this dip is shredded chicken! I like to grab a whole chicken from the deli that's already been roasted on the rotisserie, and then shred it. This is a great way to save some time. You can also pre-cook chicken breasts or chicken thighs, or even smoke them! Smoked chicken adds the next level of smokiness! Regardless of how you cook your chicken, you will need four cups of shredded chicken for this recipe.
You can also make this nice melty dip on your gas grill! Just cook over low, indirect heat. The dip will not have a super smoky flavor, but you can add smoke to the mix by adding a few wood chips to the hot coals.
Please note that when you smoke or grill chicken dip, it can come out a bit drier. You can help this by adding a water pan to your smoker, which maintains a moist air environment within the smoker. If needed, you can add extra ranch dressing or buffalo wing sauce, to add back some moisture.
You will smoke this creamy dip uncovered, to allow the smoke to penetrate the buffalo chicken mixture. Also, this dip is great for leftovers! There are so many ways to use leftover buffalo chicken dip. You can make buffalo chicken quesadillas, stuff baked potatoes or potato skins, dilute with chicken broth to make a creamy soup, serve on top of french fries, or spread it on top of a flatbread and bake like a pizza!
I hope you enjoy this delicious dip, packed with gooey goodness!
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz cream block of softened cream cheese, cubed
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Optional: ¼ cup blue cheese dressing
- Optional toppings: Blue cheese crumbles, sour cream, diced green onions
- Preheat your smoker to 250°F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine chicken, hot sauce, ranch dressing, cheese and cream cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Add dip mixture to 8x8 aluminum pan, cast iron skillet or grill safe baking pan.
- Smoke at 250 degrees for 1 ½ hours. Stir halfway through.
- Remove from the smoker or grill and stir to combine.
- Serve with tortilla chips, celery sticks, pork rinds, crusty bread
I like cherry wood or apple wood best for this recipe.