Last Updated on
Looking for a delicious smoked chicken rub you can make at home? THIS IS IT! Delicious on smoked, grilled or roasted chicken, this rub is the perfect seasoning for chicken!
Folks, this is THE rub. Most of us that love to smoke meat spend quite a bit of money on barbecue rubs, trying to find the right combo. And they aren’t cheap! Here in Kansas City, you’ll find hundreds of barbecue rubs on the shelves because love our barbecue! And, everyone has a “secret recipe.” Well today I’m sharing my secret smoked chicken rub!
Warning! This chicken rub recipe has some kick to it. But don’t worry, it’s easy to fix if you don’t like spicy food! I have some suggestions below:
Modifications for Smoked Chicken Rub:
- If you don’t like spicy food, completely omit or lessen the cayenne pepper.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons or brown sugar to provide a sweet balance and help to form a caramelized crust.
- Kick up the garlic for a more garlicky flavor
- If you do not have white pepper on hand, substitute black pepper. It will be fine! White pepper has a milder flavor, but otherwise provides a similar flavor.
This smoked chicken rub is excellent on other proteins as well. But, it packs powerful flavor, so choose a substantial protein that can hold up to it. It would overwhelm scallops, if you catch my drift! Here are some other ways to use this rub recipe:
Alternate uses for Smoked Chicken Rub:
- Rub on a turkey breast. This is a delicious smoked turkey breast rub. Try it instead of Italian dressing and seasoning in this Grilled Turkey Breast recipe!
- Rub on salmon, but add a few tablespoons of brown sugar. This makes a great smoked salmon rub. Substitute it for the rub in this Smoked Salmon Recipe!
- Rub on fatty, meaty cuts of pork like pork butts and shoulders. This makes a great pulled pork rub. Use it instead of the seasoning listed in this slow cooker pulled pork recipe!
I hope that you enjoy this seasoning for chicken. If you use it on something other than chicken, let me know how it was!
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Apply to your favorite meat before cooking.