Last Updated on
Need an easy breakfast for a crowd? This Breakfast Casserole with Bacon using Burgers’ Smokehouse Bacon is one the whole family will love!
When did you start hosting the holidays for your family? We still do most of our holiday gatherings at my parents’ house, but my sister and I have started hosting a bit. I love it when I get the chance to host, but the preparation can be stressful. One way that I lighten my load is to pre-make breakfast, like this Breakfast Casserole with Bacon!
This Breakfast Casserole with Bacon is a savory, hearty casserole. It features a hash brown crust, loads of eggs, cheese and spices. And, I used my favorite bacon in the world from Burgers’ Smokehouse. Burgers’ is local to Kansas City, based in California, Missouri! California (Missouri) is about 15 minutes from my hometown. I had the fortune of growing up on Burgers’ bacon and ham, and I have to say that it spoiled me for all others. Even better, Burgers’ is still family owned and operated. Right now, the 3rd and 4th generations are running it!
Burgers’ bacon is dry cured, meaning that there is no water added when making it. They allow the bacon to age for a few days before smoking it to perfection. I used the Original Hickory Smoked variety for this Breakfast Casserole with Bacon recipe. Burgers’ makes other varieties; Applewood, Maple Hickory, Peppered Hickory, Cajun Hickory and Uncured Smoked bacons.
I am so happy that most of our local stores here in Kansas City carry Burgers’ bacon! I find it at Price Chopper or Hy-Vee, but stores like Hen House, Schnucks, Dierbergs, Wal-Mart and others carry their products. You can search for a store near you here.
If you’re in the mood for a road trip, you can visit the Burgers’ Smokehouse Factory Store & Visitor’s Center in California, Missouri! It’s located at 32819 Highway 87 South, open 8-5 on Monday through Friday and on Saturdays through Christmas Eve. If you’re driving there from Kansas City, I have a few stops to recommend! I love the Hometown Cafe in Syracuse, Missouri for incredible pies and home cooking. And, there’s a fantastic Dutch Bakery in Tipton, Missouri that’s worth a visit.
Finally, if you’re looking for a non-traditional entree for Thanksgiving, Burgers’ has you covered! I love their holiday ham, bacon wrapped and smoked cornish game hens, or this fully cooked beef prime rib! All these options only need re-heating, allowing you to spend more time with your family. Which is every host’s dream!
- About 40-50 hash brown rounds, frozen
- 1 lb Burgers' Smokehouse Bacon
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- large pinches of salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choosing
- 3 green onions, finely minced, roots and white pieces discarded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x9 casserole dish.
- Add frozen tator tots to bottom of dish, arranging into a single layer.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain on plate with paper towel. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before dicing into small bits.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, spices, cheese, green onions and diced bacon. Mix well with a whisk until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over the tator tots.
- Bake in oven for about 35 minutes, or until the egg mixture is completely cooked through in the center. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.