Your family will love this hearty Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole with sausage, perfect for weekend brunch!
We've been SO busy lately. I was promoted at the day job, and we've had guests staying with us almost every weekend! There's a lot that comes with having guests, making sure the house is clean is of course one of these things. The other thing is having enough food in the house! Getting breakfast with a group around our house is tough; there are only a few breakfast spots and on the weekend, the wait times will be an hour or more. So, making breakfast casseroles like this Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole with sausage at home is a necessity!
So, we always cook breakfast for our guests at home. I've learned that if I can put together a breakfast casserole, the cooking process is so much less stressful! I spent about 10 minutes getting the casserole prepped, and then it's thrown in the oven.
I can then make something to accompany it, or spend time chatting. My favorite breakfast casserole to serve when we have guests is this Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole!
This is a hearty breakfast casserole, packed with hash browns, sausage, eggs, fresh cheese and simple seasonings. I made this casserole in a deep dish casserole pan like this one.
For this recipe, I chose shredded Italian cheese. I think you could also use shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese!
Below I have photos of the steps to layer the casserole. There's nothing better than the crunch of the tator tots in the bottom of this cheesy sausage breakfast casserole, I promise! So, make sure to put the tator tots on the bottom of the dish!
- About 40-50 hash brown rounds, frozen
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (hot or mild)
- 12 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 1 cup Sargento® Shredded 6 Cheese Italian
- 3 green onions, finely minced, roots and white pieces discarded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x9 casserole dish.
- Add hash brown rounds to bottom of dish, arranging into a single layer.
- In a skillet, cook the breakfast sausage, breaking into crumbles, about 5 minutes. When finished, add the cooked sausage crumbles to the casserole dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, spices, and cheese. Mix well with a whisk until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over the tator tots and sausage.
- Sprinkle green onion over the top.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is completely cooked through in the center. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
If you love this Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe, I think you'll also enjoy: