This is such a light and refreshing side dish! There is no mayo in the cole slaw dressing, which makes it perfect to bring to hot summer barbecues and potlucks! Cabbage, granny smith apple and radish make it crunchy and the dressing is light and sweet!
Memorial Day Weekend is just around the corner! I’m excited for the barbecues alone, but we’re also planning to spend some time on the boat and attend a family wedding. There is something so sweet about the first barbecue of the season! I’ve been very focused on potluck and barbecue appropriate side dishes lately, sharing these EASY Pepperjack Scalloped Potatoes on my friend Andi’s site, The Weary Chef. Today, I’m sharing my new favorite side dish, a light and healthy Cabbage Radish and Apple Cole Slaw. I used the light, vinegar-based dressing from my Mom’s classic vinegar based cole slaw, which is consistently the MOST popular recipe on my site! I then layered in two varieties of cabbage with crunchy red radishes and tart green apples.
The addition of granny smith apples and radishes makes this slaw unforgettable! One of the secrets to making this cole slaw perfectly is to cut the radish and apples into small, thin, matchstick sized pieces. This helps these pieces blend in with the cabbage on your fork.
You may choose to reduce the sugar by a bit. This is a sweet, vinegar-based dressing. If you are nervous about the sweetness, make the dressing with half the sugar and taste. You can always add the rest in later. I like to chill this Cabbage, Radish and Apple Slaw in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before I serve it, because it just tastes better cold!
- 5 cups shredded cabbage, red or green
- 1 cup Granny Smith apple, cut into matchstick pieces
- 3/4 cup radish, cut into matchstick pieces
- 2 tbsp white onion, very finely diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp water
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- a shake of powdered mustard
- a shake of salt and pepper
- Combine cabbage, apple, radish and onion in large mixing bowl.
- In a small jar, add sugar, vinegar, water, oil, celery seed, powdered mustard, salt and pepper. Shake or stir until well combined.
- Add dressing to cabbage mix, stir well. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill before serving.