This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Kraft Heinz
Like most people, I grew up with a few holiday dishes that were “must haves” for holiday meals. As I’ve grown and started to host holiday meals at my house, I’ve had a lot of fun mixing up traditional family recipes with new dishes, such as this Creamy Asparagus Casserole!
My inspiration for this Asparagus Casserole was traditional Green Bean Casserole. Green Bean Casserole is a polarizing dish, but it’s one that my family has always loved and enjoyed for holidays. Also, I drew a bit of inspiration from the “fancy” roasted asparagus I typically make with steak. When I make roasted asparagus, I top it with hollandaise sauce, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese. Yum!
Asparagus feels like an elevated alternative to green bean casserole, offering a bit more flavor and texture. But this casserole is still creamy, comforting, and delicious! It’s the perfect side dish for your holiday dinners this year. Something a bit exciting, but still cozy and reminiscent of a holiday classic.
To make this Creamy Asparagus Casserole, I used high quality ingredients such as Philadelphia® Original Cream Cheese and Oscar Mayer® Naturally Hardwood Smoked Bacon. Whether it’s Friendsgiving or a small holiday gathering with your immediate family, you can grab these, and other high-quality Kraft® products at Walmart this holiday season!
I topped this delicious, creamy casserole with fried onions, a nod to green bean casserole, but you could also choose to top this with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. Either choice is wonderful!
For more holiday recipe inspiration, and chances to win big, head to #ShareTheHolidaySweepstakes by going to http://bit.ly/ShareTheHoliday. You could win daily prizes of $100 Walmart gift cards and a grand prize trip to visit loved ones (a $2,500 value). Plus as a special gift from Walmart, you'll be emailed a link to download a free digital cookbook of holiday favorites (including this recipe!).
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut into 1.5-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ½ cup KRAFT Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices OSCAR MAYER Naturally Hardwood Smoked Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a 2.5-quart casserole dish.
- Arrange asparagus in the bottom of the dish; squeeze lemon juice on top and toss to evenly coat the asparagus.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Once melted, add flour and stir vigorously to form a paste.
- Reduce heat to low, add cream cheese and milk. Melt the cream cheese, stirring often to prevent the mixture from burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Add Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, bacon, and black pepper. Stir for 2–3 minutes on low heat, bringing to a gentle simmer until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Pour cheese sauce over asparagus, top with fried onions.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes, or until asparagus reaches desired level of doneness.