Smoked Grapes with Goat Cheese Fondue
This post has been sponsored by Grapes from California. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Smoked Grapes with Goat Cheese Fondue is a simple, unforgettable appetizer that your guests will rave about!
With the holidays around the corner, I’m starting to think about unique and delicious entertaining ideas! I first had smoked grapes at a wonderful restaurant here in Kansas City. I was not sure what to expect, but it was an unforgettable appetizer. The slight smokiness perfectly balanced the crisp grape, turning a well-loved everyday fruit into an unforgettable dish! The restaurant served the smoked grapes with a simple goat cheese fondue, and it was the perfect pairing.
Did you know that 99% of the Grapes grown in the United States are grown in California? They’re in season May through January. I love to use California grapes whenever possible! They’re my go-to, perfect, anytime snack.
California Grapes are grown in over 80 varieties in three colors: green, red and black. I chose red for this Smoked Grapes with Goat Cheese Fondue recipe, but you should feel comfortable choosing whatever colors of California Grapes you like best. All colors will be delicious, and will present beautifully. The smoke adds a gorgeous bronzed color to the grape!
Less is more when smoking grapes. Since grapes have thin skin, they only need about 15-20 minutes of time in the smoker. You can place them directly on the grates, or place them in a vented metal basket, either method works!
I like to smoke grapes at the end of a smoking session after my meat or vegetables have finished cooking. It’s a smart way to maximize the use of your fire!
I recommend serving smoked grapes with the simple goat cheese fondue in this recipe, but you can also enjoy them on their own, or as the star of a charcuterie board! This recipe would be a wonderful appetizer for your intimate holiday parties this year.
Please let me know if you try this recipe for your next party in the comments!
- 1 pound Grapes from California
- For the Goat Cheese Fondue:
- · 4 ounces goat cheese
- · 3 tbsp heavy cream
- · 2 tsp honey
- · 1 tbsp green onion, finely minced
- · A pinch of salt
- Prepare smoker to 225ºF.
- Place grapes directly on the grapes, or in a vented metal basket. Add to smoker and smoke for 15-20 minutes, covered.
- For the goat cheese fondue, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl, whipping gently with a whisk.
- Add whipped goat cheese mixture to a small, oven safe dish. Bake for 5-10 minutes until warm. Do not over-bake, as the goat cheese can begin to separate.
- Serve the goat cheese fondue hot with room temperature smoked grapes for dipping.