Last Updated on
This delicious Creamy Pasta Salad is packed with vegetables, sausage, and topped with a creamy three-ingredient dressing! Serve it cold as the perfect side dish on a warm summer day!
Did you grow up eating summer sausage? I did! My Dad and his friends made their own, primarily out of venison meat. Summer sausage can be made from venison meat, like my Dad’s, but in the stores, you’ll typically find summer sausage made of pork and beef. I absolutely love the flavor of Burgers’ Smokehouse Ozark Summer Sausage. It has a secret spice blend that is unforgettable, and it’s aged and smoked to perfection. It’s one of my favorite snacks, with cheese, but it’s also so flavorful that it’s perfect for adding to this Creamy Pasta Salad!
All home cooks need a go-to creamy pasta salad recipe, because it’s such a great way to use up the vegetables that are left in your refrigerator before they go bad. For this recipe, feel free to swap out alternate vegetables. Use what you have! The only thing that I would recommend you don’t swap out is the cheddar. Medium to sharp cheddar is the PERFECT counterpart to the Summer Sausage in this recipe.
The dressing on this creamy pasta salad doesn’t get easier. I use a combination of mayonnaise and oil-based Italian dressing! If you want to skip the mayonnaise, pick your favorite Italian dressing, and call it a day! There’s no need to make the dressing from scratch. I always keep a bottle of Olive Garden’s light dressing on hand, because it’s perfect for this type of thing.
Why am I so passionate about Burgers’ Smokehouse? Burgers’ is local to Kansas City, based in California, Missouri! California (Missouri) is about 15 minutes from my hometown. I had the fortune of growing up on Burgers’ bacon and ham, and I have to say that it spoiled me for all others. Even better, Burgers’ is still family owned and operated. Right now, the 3rd and 4th generations are running it the show.
You can find Burgers’ Ozark Summer Sausage in the Midwest in grocery stores like Dierberg’s, Price Chopper and Hy-Vee! If you’re unable to find Summer Sausage, I would recommend trying Burgers’ Beef Sausage as a great substitute. Both options are available through Burgers’ online website, and shipping is free! Here are a few ways to order it:
- Ozark Summer Sausage: 2 pounds of it, just for you!
- Day Trip Gift Pack: Cheese, crackers and sausage in an insulated tote!
- Pride of Missouri: Sausage and cheese sampler.
I hope that you enjoy this Creamy Pasta Salad recipe made with delicious Burgers’ Smokehouse Sausage! If you love this recipe, I think you’ll also love these delicious side dishes:
- Cauliflower Brocolli Salad
- Grilled Corn On the Cob in Foil
- Cream Cheese Corn Casserole with Green Chiles
- 1 16-ounce package rotini pasta, or pasta of choice
- 8 ounces Burgers’ Smokehouse Summer Sausage, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 can sliced olives, drained
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Italian dressing
- 2 tsp sugar (or more, to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together sausage, broccoli, red onion, tomatoes, olives and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, italian dressing, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta mix, stir well to combine.
- Cover, and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
If you are unable to find Burgers' Smokehouse Summer Sausage, their Beef Sausage is a wonderful substitution!