Spicy Cajun Pasta with Sausage and Tomatoes
Spicy Cajun Pasta with Sausage and Tomatoes is an easy, one pan dinner! Make this andouille sausage pasta for the whole family. They will love it!
I’m a sucker for one pan meals. This Spicy Cajun Pasta with Sausage is technically a two pan meal, since you do have to boil the pasta, but it still has the benefit of not requiring a big clean-up effort after dinner!
It’s a creamy, spicy pasta with andouille sausage, which is one of my favorite sausages.
“This was awesome (and spicy)! Instead of using canned diced tomatoes, we cut up a fresh tomato and sautéed a shallot and a clove of garlic beforehand. We also added fresh basil for garnish.” – Blog Reader Comment
I’ve been experimenting with this Spicy Cajun Pasta with Sausage for a while now. Typically, you see Cajun pasta recipes with chicken or shrimp.
I like to use authentic andouille sausage, which cooks up super quickly in the skillet AND adds a ton of authentic Cajun flavors.
Most Cajun pasta recipes call for cream, but honestly, I think it’s unnecessary in most cases. I prefer to use low fat cream cheese, which has about half the calories.
Cream cheese also has a much longer shelf life, and you can freeze it! I don’t even want to know how many partially used cartons of heavy cream I’ve thrown out over the years because I’ve used a small portion and the rest goes bad.
Use whatever type of pasta you like for this recipe! But, I would recommend that you use a tubular shaped pasta, like penne, rigatoni or cavatappi. Why? Because the hollowed out shape of the pasta will hold the cream sauce inside, making a delicious bite every time!
This pasta uses light cream cheese to make a rich, creamy, and super flavorful andouille sausage pasta dish that is ready in about 20 minutes. You can fit that in on a weeknight, right? Here are some other quick pasta dishes you may enjoy!
- Creamy Pasta Salad with Burger’s Smokehouse Summer Sausage
- Easy Bratwurst Pasta
- Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- Easy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
- Crab Linguine Carbonara Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp and Grits
Serve this Spicy Cajun Pasta with Sausage with crusty bread and top with grated Parmesan, and let the good times roll!
- 16 ounces pasta
- 1 pound andouille sausage
For the pasta sauce:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 9 ounces diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ¼ tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet, sauté the sausage on medium high until cooked through, about ten minutes.
- Cut cooked sausage into bite-sized pieces and return to the pan.
- To the skillet, add cream cheese and diced tomatoes and reduce heat to low. Stir constantly until cream cheese melts.
- Add spices and chicken broth into skillet, stir until well combined.
- Add cooked pasta to skillet, stir and serve.
Feel free to use precooked sausage. Slice and heat in the skillet for 2-3 minutes before adding sauce ingredients.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 765Total Fat 53gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 127mgSodium 1747mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 25g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app and may be incorrect.