Green Chicken Pozole Verde (or Pozole Verde) is so simple to make! It includes chicken, hominy, and a spicy green chili broth. Includes instructions for both stove top and slow cooker.
The weather is turning and football is back! Fall for us means Sunday football and yummy homemade food. For our first game weekend, I asked my husband what dish he'd like me to make. He said, without hesitation, "Pozole. PLEASE!" I obliged him with this spicy Green Chicken Pozole, also known as Chicken Pozole Verde.
"We love soup! This recipe was very easy to prepare and very good. Thank you!- Laura P."
I made this Chicken Pozole Verde on the stove top, but check below for some alternate instructions if you'd like to make this in the slow cooker!
What is Pozole, anyways?
Other than being pure magic, Pozole is a soup that originated in Mexico. It's a traditional stew that always has hominy (dried, puffed up corn kernels) and typically pork or chicken in it. It's almost always infused with chilies, so you typically see verde (green) style, or rojo (red) style. Both are delish, and you can find my Pork Pozole Rojo (Red) here.
What I love about Pozole is that in Mexico, it's a soup often made for celebrations! National holidays, birthdays and other celebrations frequently have some form of pozole as the main dish.
The best toppings for pozole add color and texture. I love radishes, avocado, lime juice, cilantro and shredded cabbage. You can also add fresh peppers, onion, garlic, salsa, or a sprinkle of queso fresco.
Making Green Chicken Pozole in the Slow Cooker
This recipe is easily adapted to the slow cooker. Do a quick sauté of the onions, garlic and chili pepper on the stove top, then add the sautéed vegetables to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, and remember to remove the bay leaves before serving!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ large white onion, diced
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 25 ounce can hominy, drained
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In large soup pot, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute quickly, for about 30 seconds. Do not allow to burn.
- Add broth, hominy, shredded chicken, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves.
- Cover and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Carefully remove and throw away bay leaves.
- Add green enchilada sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, avocado or garnish of choice.
If you love this Chicken Pozole Verde, I think you'll also enjoy these recipes:
- Slow Cooker Pork Pozole (Pozole Rojo)
- Hatch Chile Salsa Verde
- Easy Flank Steak Tacos
- Crockpot Corn Chowder
- Baked Baja Fish Tacos