Last Updated on
This Southwest Black Bean Avocado Quinoa Salad combines quinoa, black beans, tomatoes, red onions, avocado and cilantro with a zesty three-ingredient lime dressing. Serve it warm or chilled. This one is great as a healthy side dish for barbecues!
I've always been interested in the history of recipes and how they travel throughout a culture. When someone tells me about a dish they love, I ask them a million questions. I want to know where they first experienced it, and who made it. Was it at a barbecue? A family holiday? A dinner out? What was it served with? And so on. Increasingly, people are finding recipes online. But, I still think there is so much value in trying a dish made by your family, friends or favorite restaurant, then sharing it with others when you get the chance. It seems to me that these dishes still have a lot of sticking power! I love it when I can associate a great recipe with a person that's important to me.
I sampled this incredible salad with quinoa, black beans and avocado at a barbecue. Our friends and neighbors brought it over, and seemed a little nervous about it bringing a healthy quinoa salad. But, it was devoured, and within days I set out to recreate it per their instructions. I loved how zesty the simple cumin and lime dressing was, and it seemed to have the perfect combination of quinoa, diced avocado, black beans, purple onion, and tomatoes! I let it chill out in the fridge before serving it as a side dish for two weeknight dinners, AND bringing a single serving for my lunch at work three days in a row. I diced up chicken and threw it in with the salad, and it was a super simple and satisfying lunch!
I hope that you enjoy this Southwest Black Bean and Avocado Quinoa Salad! I'm so glad our friends brought it over, because it's going to be a staple in our house from here on out!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed per package instructions
- 1.75 cups water
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1.5 avocados, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped*
Dressing (reserve for later)
- juice of 1.5 limes
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- In a medium sized pot, add olive oil and heat on medium for 1-2 minutes. Add quinoa and toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring lightly. Pour in water and turn burner to heat heat until water starts to boil. Give a quick stir, then cover and simmer on LOW heat for 15-20 minutes until the water is completely absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy when stirred.
- In a small bowl, add dressing ingredients and stir to combine. Taste and adjust add more lime juice or olive oil to taste. Make sure all your add-ins are ready to go.
- Add black beans to cooked quinoa, stir, and remove from heat. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add avocado, tomatoes, red onion, garlic. red pepper and stir well to combine.
- Finally, add dressing and cilantro, stir again.
- Serve slightly warm or chilled. We prefer it chilled.
- *I add up to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, but I would consider my family to love cilantro in an excessive sort of way. Adjust up or down for your tastebuds.