This Bulgogi Burger with Quick Pickled Cabbage and Gochujang Mayo is the absolute best combination of flavors, borrowing from Korean barbecue! Cook on the stovetop or grill!
With so many restaurants closed this Spring, we've gotten way more adventurous with our cooking at home. Both my husband and I LOVE Korean barbecue.
After having the umpteenth plain grilled burger, I came up with the idea of incorporating some Korean barbecue flavors into our ground beef! That's how this Bulgogi Burger recipe was born!
I am all about keeping it easy, so this recipe is much simpler than it seems. The ground beef is seasoned with pantry ingredients and can be cooked in the skillet or on the grill!
I wanted to hit all possible flavor combinations on the Korean Burger toppings; crunchy, acidic, creamy, spicy to counteract the sweeter seasoning of the burger.
The first topping is quick pickled cabbage. This comes together in about 10 minutes on the stovetop. It's super simple! If you have kimchi on hand, you can substitute that. But, I really think you'll love the quick pickled cabbage. It has a sweet, acidic crunch and is very easy to make.
The second topping is a Gochujang mayo. You'll need Gochujang sauce for this, which you can find in the asian section of your supermarket, or you can add Gochujang sauce to your Amazon cart here. If you're unable to find Gochujang sauce, you can substitute Sriracha and add a small pinch of sugar!
The Bulgogi Burger and these two simple toppings come together to form the PERFECT flavor combo. My husband ate his burger in about 20 seconds flat, and asked for a second. It's that tasty!
If you need a simple side dish, you can always double the cabbage and serve it as side!
- 5 burger buns
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
For the Burger Patty:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried ginger
- ¼ cup chopped scallions (green onions)
For the Gochujang Mayo
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Gochujang sauce
For the Quick Pickled Cabbage
- ¼ head green cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground beef, soy sauce, brown sugar, crushed red pepper, ginger and garlic powder, and scallions. Mix until well combined, using a fork or your hands.
- Form burger patties. You should be able to make about 5 patties, as wide as your palm and about ½ inch thick.
- Heat sesame oil in large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
- Sear burger patties in skillet for 3-4 minutes per side. A rich, caramelized brown crust should form on the seared surface of the patty. If this does not occur, turn your burner up to higher heat.
- For the mayo, combine mayo and Gochujang sauce in a small bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- For the pickled cabbage, add apple cider vinegar, water, salt and sugar into a small saucepot and heat on medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Add cabbage and turn the heat to low. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to rest in the vinegar solution for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- To assemble the burgers, add ¾ tablespoon of Gochujang mayo, one burger patty and about ¼ cup of pickled cabbage to a hamburger bun.
- These are great served hot or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453
If you enjoyed this Bulgogi Burger, I think you'll also enjoy: