Easy Chickpea Potato Curry
This Thai inspired Chickpea Potato Curry is a simple vegan potato recipe for dinner! Just a few ingredients for a filling, fragrant meal.
I’ve been on a mission to use up ingredients from our pantry as much as possible lately. It’s not natural for me, I’m the kind that likes to go to the grocery store when I have a craving and get everything I need.
I made this Chickpea Potato Curry recipe one night after perusing the pantry for ideas!
I had Thai curry paste and chickpeas on hand and did some brainstorming to see what else I could use up from the fridge!
Making this Chickpea Potato Curry is simple! The longest part of it is cooking the potatoes, which you can definitely do ahead of time if preferred. I boiled mine, because I’m at home right now and have a lot of time on my hands!
But you could also choose to microwave them and allow to cool before peeling. Or serve the potatoes with the skins on, if you don’t mind them!
I used Thai yellow curry paste for this dish, but you’re welcome to use whatever curry paste you have on hand.
Yellow is my favorite, but I also love green curry paste, like I used in this Green Curry Fish recipe!
This Chickpea Potato Curry can be served by itself or over rice! I prefer basmati rice but use what you have on hand.
If you love this vegan potato recipe, I think you’ll also enjoy:
- 4 medium potatoes, washed, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas, drained and washed
- 2 tablespoons thai curry paste (yellow)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ small white onion, sliced
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- Prepare potato by filling a large pot with water and bringing to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil for about 15 minutes, or until they are easily pierced with a fork.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add oil and cook onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add curry paste. Sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Next, add vegetable broth and coconut milk. Stir to combine, then add chickpeas and potatoes.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring to scrape the bottom of the pan and loosen anything that is stuck.
- Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice. I like basmati rice. Choose your favorite!