Low Carb Lasagna Bowls is a lighter alternative to traditional lasagna. Add low carb vegetables to make it a complete meal, suggestions included!
We are starting to feel the beginning of fall here in Kansas City, and that means that I am craving hearty comfort food already! But, I'm trying to eat a bit healthier and am tracking my calories as part of my effort towards healthy habits. I've found that an easy way to stay under my calorie goals for the day is to make substitutions to favorite meals to reduce the carbs in them. Lasagna is one of my favorite weeknight meals, but it is very carb heavy!
These Low Carb Lasagna Bowls are the perfect example of what I like to do here at Blackberry Babe! I love it when I can provide recipes that come together quickly, minimize ingredients and taste good for the entire family. When I served these, I was able to customize them pretty easily. I left my son's plain. I put some eggplant in my husband's lasagna bowl, and added diced zucchini to mine!
You will need a no sugar pasta sauce for this recipe. I love this No Sugar Pasta Sauce on Amazon, but it's a bit expensive. Brands like Prego also offer no sugar pasta sauce that you can find in your local grocery store!
Because these Low Carb Lasagna Bowls are so easy to customize, I want to provide some additional ingredients that work well with this base recipe! It's easy to layer in low carb vegetables to customize these Low Carb Lasagna Bowls, and make them a complete meal! Another added bonus, you can easily omit a vegetable since this recipe makes individual servings!
Here are some customization ideas:
- Diced mushrooms
- A hearty slice of eggplant
- Sliced zucchini
- Sliced yellow squash
- Strips of red pepper
- Chopped fresh spinach
- 1 pound of ground sausage
- 1 cup of sugar-free marinara sauce
- 1 cup of Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parsley to garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brown sausage in a pan over medium high heat. Carefully drain of excess grease, and then set aside.
- In a bowl mix together ricotta cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. Set to the side.
- To 4 oven-safe bowls evenly divide the browned sausage and top with marinara sauce, ricotta cheese mixture, and mozzarella cheese.
- Place bowls on a cooking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.