The best part of owning an instant pot is being able to make your own yogurt! This Instant Pot Greek Yogurt is healthy and so much more affordable than store bought!
So, have you given in to the Instant Pot craze yet? I bought my Instant Pot on Amazon Prime day, when it was on sale. One of the first things I made with it was these Instant Pot Greek Yogurt Parfaits! I love the idea of making your own yogurt, both from an affordability standpoint, and the ability to to control the ingredients and the packaging. To make this Instant Pot Greek Yogurt, you'll need a few things other than the ingredients, namely an Instant Pot and some cheesecloth.
I used milk from our local dairy. They package their milk in glass and it always tastes so fresh! I also used a few tablespoons of Fage Greek Yogurt from the store to get the cultures going.
Once the yogurt has cooked in the pot for about 8 hours, you'll need to strain it using your cheesecloth. This is where personal tastes come into play. I like SUPER thick greek yogurt, so I allowed mine to strain overnight. About 3-4 hours of straining should get you to the consistency most people like. If you forget about it overnight on accident, don't stress! You can always add some of the strained out whey back in and stir it to thin it out.
I love to make my yogurt into Instant Pot Greek Yogurt Parfaits, adding a drizzle of honey, sliced almonds, blueberries and fresh strawberries. But, I figure everyone already knows how they like their yogurt, so you do you!
Regardless, I love this little video showing the possibilities. It just makes sense to store this homemade greek yogurt in mason jars, right? Pre-making parfaits and keeping them in the fridge is such an easy way to breakfast prep. If you need another easy breakfast or snack, I'd highly recommend my No Bake Energy Balls!
Need more awesome Instant Pot recipes? I recommend:
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Goulash
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Green Beans
- Incredible Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce
- 8 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons store bought greek yogurt (with live cultures, I used Fage)
- cheese cloth
- In the Instant Pot, pour 8 cups of whole milk.
- Press Yogurt, then adjust to Boil.
- Once the IP is done with the boil cycle, insert a thermometer into milk to make sure the
- temperature has reach 180 degrees. If not, turn on saute to MORE and cook until milk reaches
- Remove the base from the IP and set on counter to cool the milk down to 115 degrees.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons of store bought greek yogurt.
- Return to IP and press the yogurt cycle for 8 hours.
- When the yogurt is done, place cheese clothes in a strainer and pour the yogurt into the strainer
- to separate the whey.
- Strain for 3-4 hours or overnight (depending on how thick you want your yogurt)
- In the morning, remove the yogurt from the cheese cloth and place into a bowl. If the yogurt is
- too thick, add a few tablespoons of the whey back in.
- Serve with honey, almond slices and berries.