Keto Swedish Meatballs are made keto friendly by making some smart swaps to the traditional ingredients! A hearty, creamy dinner that even the non-keto people in your family will love!
Alright, folks. I am not currently on the keto diet, but so very many of you are! I get a ton of requests for new keto recipes every day. Since I aim to please, I am so excited to share this Keto Swedish Meatballs recipe with you.
In the keto group I follow on Facebook, there are always requests for good keto meatball recipes. I started thinking about ways to make a perfect keto meatball, and experimented with alternatives for the bread crumbs that typically hold the meatball together. Once I perfected the meatball, I started thinking of sauce options. Of course, you could use the meatball recipe in this post and serve with your favorite low-sugar tomato sauce and zucchini noodles! But doesn’t a cream sauce sound good? Yeah, it kinda does.
Believe it or not, the first time I had Swedish Meatballs was at IKEA, at the ripe age of 30! I had always heard about IKEA’s famous meatballs, but had never actually had them until IKEA moved to Kansas City! Spoiler alert, I loved them. And those amazing cinnamon rolls. I had never thought to put a creamy sauce on meatballs, but it worked so well, and I found myself going to IKEA for the food. Not the furniture!
Since you typically use flour in cream sauce, we’re replacing it here with arrowroot powder or xantham gum. I didn’t even tell my husband, and he couldn’t even tell the difference.
Keto Swedish Meatballs are made keto friendly by making some smart swaps to the traditional ingredients! Tender meatballs in a delicious creamy sauce!
- 4-5 tablespoons of butter
- 1 chopped white onion
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup of crushed pork rinds –
- 2 teaspoons Salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of Garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Arrow root powder or xantham gum
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Add ground beef, crushed pork rinds, 1 teaspoon of salt, spices, egg, and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream into a large bowl. Gently fold ingredients together.
- Roll about 1 ½ tablespoons of ground beef mixture into a ball, repeat with remaining ground beef mixture. You should be able to make about 24 meatballs. Set meatballs aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add in onions and a teaspoon of salt. Cook onions, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove onions from the pan, but leave remaining butter.
- Add olive oil to the same skillet and then add in meatballs. Brown meatballs on all sides over medium high heat. Then, lower heat to medium/medium low and cover pan. Every 3-4 minutes, rotate meatballs until they are cooked through. Total time can take between 10-20 minutes, depending on how thick you made your meatballs.
- Remove meatballs from pan once cooked through.
- Return skillet to medium high heat. Add in broth, mustard, and remaining heavy cream. Stir well, then allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering whisk together water and xantham gum/arrowroot. in a small bowl. It will form a very loose paste.
- Gently pour the paste to the pan and whisk quickly to keep lumps from forming.
- Lower heat to medium low and continue to cook the sauce for 5 minutes, or until it is thickened.
- Return your cooked onions and meatballs to skillet, and cover meatballs with the sauce. Gently simmer the meatballs and sauce together until the meatballs are reheated.
- Sprinkle with parsley or fresh herbs and serve.