Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal is a hearty, simple breakfast for a crowd! Flavors of brown sugar and bananas (with an optional splash of rum) make this baked oatmeal take just like the classic dessert, Bananas Foster.
Are big weekend breakfasts a tradition for you? Before we had Eli, we’d crawl out of bed around 10am and go to a diner in our neighborhood. Sometimes, we’d meet friends for a mimosa brunch. Now that we have a kiddo, breakfast is almost always at home because he wakes up starving! I typically get him downstairs in the kitchen for a quick snack, like an apple, while I get the oven on and get things going. This past weekend, I tried baked oatmeal for the first time. I’ve bookmarked a TON of different baked oatmeal recipes, but have never taken the leap. I looked through all of them (and the comments, because those are always full of good suggestions) and created this Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal recipe. If you love oatmeal, granola bars and the traditional Bananas Foster dessert, I would bet that you’ll love this!
You’ll start with a few dry ingredients, mainly oats and brown sugar. I always love a good reason to use my canister of rolled oats. The dry mixture is then soaked in a milk and egg solution, then baked. I made this baked oatmeal bananas foster flavor by coating diced bananas in melted butter and brown sugar, then incorporating the coated bananas into the oats mixture.
These oats will seem a little soupy when you put them into the 9×13” pan, but have no fear! The oats absorb the liquid and fluff up. I find this dish really hard to explain as the top stays a bit crunchy, but the bottom will be moist and dense, kind of like an oatmeal cookie! SO good and tons of flavor, I’d gladly eat it for dessert anyday!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the bananas foster mix in
- 1 cup diced bananas
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- splash of rum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt). Stir to combine, chopping up any lumps of brown sugar.
- Beat in milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla.
- Spread into well greased 9×13 inch pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together bananas foster mix in ingredients (diced bananas, brown sugar, melted butter, rum).
- Spoon bananas foster mixture over oatmeal mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Wonderful hot or cold.
- Serving Size: 12