This pico de gallo has been a staple in my life since I took a Mexican themed cooking class about five years ago. I’ve grown to love it so much that I actually prefer it to salsa most of the time!
The tastes in this dip are so fresh and slightly unexpected. The rice wine vinegar and cumin together add the best combination of tangy and smoky sweet. I usually bring this to parties and once a person takes the first bite, they keep coming back for more!
I feel like it’s important to always be prepared for the overwhelming abundance (ahem, blessing) of summer tomatoes that are on the way. You can only eat so many BLT’s!
I used to add about half a diced jalapeno to this dip, but over time, I stopped. For those who are spice averse, it was too intense to bite into the raw jalapeno. And, spice lovers didn’t really miss it when I left it out!Print
A fresh and flavorful take on pico de gallo!
- 2 large tomatoes, cored then diced
- 1 small onion, diced (white or yellow)
- juice of 2 large limes
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- Combine all ingredients in medium sized mixing bowl. Toss well to coat tomatoes and onions.
- Cover and place in fridge to chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- If you like spicy pico, feel free to add up to 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced. However, you don’t really need it.
- Serving Size: 6