This spicy ranch cheese ball is totally addictive! Topped with cheese, green onions, bacon and nuts, it's a favorite appetizer recipe.
This spicy ranch cheese ball is totally addictive! Topped with cheddar cheese, green onions, crispy bacon and nuts, it's a favorite appetizer recipe for game day.
We all need easy appetizer recipes that we can have on the ready for the next party! This bacon ranch cheeseball is one of my favorites cheese ball recipes, especially during the holiday season. The bacon and green onion make it especially festive for Christmas! It's the perfect holiday appetizer!
For this ultimate cheese ball recipe , we combine some of my favorite flavors intoa cream cheese mixture. Green onions, crisp bacon, crunchy pecans, ranch dressing mix and cheddar cheese are an unbeatable combination.
This easy cheeseball is also the perfect appetizer for game day! Just shape the cheeseball into the shape of a football before you pat on the topping. You can also pipe on a bit of sour cream in the shape of football laces. The end result is super cute!
So, what should you serve with this incredibly delicious cheese ball? Your favorite crackers (I love Ritz crackers or wheat thins), pretzel stick, pita chips, bagel chips,or cut vegetables like carrots, celery sticks or sweet peppers!
To make this cheese ball ahead of time, prepare the cream cheese and sour cream mixture and form it into a ball. Cover it with a large piece of plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until you're ready to eat it, then put the topping on it just before serving.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 ounce Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled (divided, you will use half for the topping)
- ⅔ cup green onions, diced (divided, you will use half for the topping)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
For the topping:
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- remaining crumbled bacon
- remaining diced green onions
- ⅔ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- To a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese and sour cream. Mix until well combined.
- Add shredded cheese, green onions, half of the crumbled bacon, ranch mix, spices and hot sauce. Stir until well combined, and form into a ball shape.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the topping ingredients: cheddar cheese, remaining bacon, green onions and chopped pecans. Stir to combine.
- Either roll the formed ball in the toppings or gently press the toppings onto the ball.
- Serve with crackers or cut vegetables.
You can make this ahead of time! Just wait until right before serving to apply the topping. I like to keep the topping items in a small Ziploc baggie in the fridge until I need them.
Do not feel like your cheeseball needs to be a perfect "ball" shape. You can shape it into a log, a football, or whatever suits you best. The most important thing is how awesome it tastes!
You can substitute bacon bits if you don't want to go to the trouble of cooking bacon.
If you are worried about this being too spicy, omit or reduce the cayenne pepper.