This Sausage and Wild Rice Soup with Collard Greens is a hearty broth-based winter soup, packed with vegetables, spicy Italian sausage, and rice.
It's been quite some time since I gave an update on life. I've been keeping it strictly food-related for the last few months, and honestly, that's been all I can pull off. I have this little problem, and it's not a new one. I don't say "no," when I should! Every few years, I find myself in a place where I'm asking myself, "Where has all of my time gone?" I'll keep saying "yes" to things until I'm so busy I can't think straight, and I finally realize that some things have to give.
I need to work, I need to be here for my family, I need to stay healthy, and I'd like to keep blogging because it's my passion project. Past that, things are pretty much on the chopping block right now! Sorry volunteering, girl's night out, and random family gatherings. I need to put you on hold for a while and get my feet back under me. I know it seems insignificant, but today I stayed home, make this Sausage and Wild Rice Soup, and just relaxed. And it was the first Sunday in months that we didn't have something on the calendar. Because, we said "no."
So this warm and hearty soup marked the start of a new phase for me. One of a little less busyness, more time at home, a lot more time in sweatpants and hopefully a little more sanity. It's a pretty simple soup, coming together in less than 30 minutes. I made it even easier by using VeeTee rice, which microwaves to complete perfection in about 2 minutes! Ain't nobody got time to dirty up another pot to make rice! I used the Basmati and Wild Rice variety, but I think you could also use the Basmati and Wild Rice variety.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz. can italian diced tomatoes with juice
- ¾ cup VeeTee Dine-In Rice, Basmati and Wild Rice
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard, collard greens or spinach stems removed, leaves chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- grated Parmesan, to top
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil on medium. Cook sausage until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a plate.
- Add onion and celery to the pot and saute until browned. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add broth to pot and bring to a boil. Add sausage back in, then tomatoes and cooked rice. Return to boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add chard/greens/spinach. Top with parsley and Parmesan, serve immediately.
This post was sponsored by VeeTee. All opinions remain my own.