A childhood favorite gets an update in this easy recipe, no campfire needed! Crispy marshmallow treats are stuffed with chocolate, graham crackers and more marshmallows, then topped with.... what else? A layer of toasted marshmallows. We love these s'mores crispy treats!
My husband and I recently spent a few days in Nashville for a little getaway. While there, we were lucky enough to find a little shop with some "fancy " rice crispy treats. I commented to Craig that we should buy some. You know, for recipe research. We bought the S'mores treat and shared it. It was so good that we were literally fighting each other for bites! I wanted to buy more, but Craig is like an unpaid personal trainer for me. He keeps me in check.
I returned to Kansas City with determination to figure out how to make them, and I'm happy to admit that I think I've succeeded. On the morning of the 4th of July, I set out to make these. I got started, then had a temporary interruption in the form of our neighborhood parade. It comes right by our house, and we typically have friends and their kiddos over to watch. After the parade, I put Eli down for a nap, and finished making these treats!
I brought these to a friend's pool party the afternoon of the 4th of July, and 8 people devoured 20 treats like they were nothing! I love coming home with an empty plate. It makes my heart sing (truly!)
These crispy treats have a layer of traditional marshmallow crisp, topped with graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows, and then another layer of marshmallow crisp. The whole ordeal is topped with another layer of marshmallow, which is then quickly broiled to give it the traditional s'mores toasted marshmallow taste and appearance!
It's always fun to update a childhood classic. These S'mores treats make something ordinary extra special!
These treats couldn't be easier to put together. First, combine butter and marshmallows in a large pot, and melt over gentle heat. Add in the crisped rice cereal, and remove from the heat. Layer the crisped rice mixture with graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows. Add a final layer of crisped rice, and top with marshmallows. Finish with a quick broil in the oven to the toast the marshmallows.
I cut these into small squares because they are quite rich. You can, of course, cut them however you'd like. I would advise that you cut very slowly to keep the graham cracker layer intact.
- 7 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 4.4 ounce bar Hershey's Milk Chocolate
- 5 graham cracker sheets (about half of one package)
- In a large stockpot, melt butter and 5 cups of marshmallows over low heat. Add in crisped rice cereal, stir to combine, and remove from heat immediately.
- Set oven to broil on low.
- Lightly grease a 9x9'' pan. Add one half of the crisped rice mixture and press down with a spatula to spread evenly.
- Layer graham crackers, milk chocolate bars, and 1 cup miniature marshmallows. Place in oven to broil for 30 seconds, then remove from oven.
- Spread remainder of crisped rice mixture on top of the s'mores layer. Press down with spatula to smooth.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of marshmallows and return to oven to broil for 1 minute.
- Remove. Cut carefully using choppy straight-down motions (remember, there are whole graham crackers that need to be cut through!)
- The next time I make these, I think I'll use marshmallow fluff for the inner layer and top layer. It would work very well!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186