Some of my favorite recipes take something very traditional, and put a slight twist on it. It's so important to keep the cooking fresh and exciting, and this is a very easy way to do it. Take a recipe that you know you love, and substitute one ingredient. Or modify it for another style of cuisine. This is an easy way to experiment in the kitchen with very little risk!
That is exactly what I did with this recipe. I took my tried and true stuffed peppers recipe, which uses large bell peppers and the traditional Italian seasonings and sauces, and modified it for a Mexican twist!
This recipe is super adaptable. I used sweet mini peppers, but you can easily use large bell peppers as well. Just use 4 large bell peppers, halved instead of the mini peppers listed in the recipe.You start by browning the beef in the pan. Add beef broth and taco seasoning, then rice, cheese and salsa. This is all that you need to do to get the filling together. Easy peasy!
I love using these sweet mini peppers for snacks, primarily. Using them in this recipe allows you to serve these for dinner, or as an appetizer!
- 1 cup uncooked instant white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb ground beef*
- 1 taco seasoning packet (1 ounce, I use low sodium)
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 3 cups salsa (your choice)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 15 sweet mini peppers, halved and seeded**
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine rice and water. Microwave for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- In a skillet, add ground beef, black pepper and garlic powder. Brown on medium heat until the meat is mostly brown, or about 5 minutes.
- While the beef is browning, halve and seed your mini peppers.
- Add taco seasoning and beef broth to beef. Allow to simmer, uncovered for 3 minutes so liquid can absorb into the beef.
- Add 1 cup salsa, cilantro, mexican cheese, and rice to skillet. Stir to combine, and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes. Rice will absorb most of the excess liquid.
- Place remaining two cups of salsa in bottom of roasting pan. Stuff peppers with beef mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top with cilantro and more shredded cheese. Serve.
- *Feel free to substitute chorizo sausage for a portion of the ground beef.
- ** Substitute 4 regular sized bell peppers if desired.