This quick and easy pasta is equally appropriate for a simple weeknight meal, or a date night at home. Delicious egg and parmesan based sauce coats the pasta, which is then tossed with sauteed bacon, peas and crab meat. We love this linguine carbonara pasta!
Life has been so busy lately. We’ve had lots of visitors, and my husband and I have both had several work trips. When this happens, I fail in the kitchen. I fail big time. Yes, even food bloggers fail in their kitchens!
Having ingredients is crucial, and I’ve certainly been failing at that. Having a plan to use the ingredients is also essential, and so I doubly failed. What have we been eating? That’s a good question, and honestly we’ve been so busy, that I don’t really remember. Some leftovers. Some takeout. Some freezer food I made a few months ago. And lots of snack food. Crackers, cheese and such.
I love to cook, and when I don’t have time to, it feels like something very important is missing. Last week, this pasta was a redeeming moment for me. A moment where I got back on the proverbial cooking horse, and rode off into the sunset. I was tired of not having a proper dinner, but I hadn’t been to the store. I desperately searched my pantry and fridge. I had bacon (yes!), eggs, pasta, cheese, frozen veggies, and a tin of crab claw meat. I’d eaten carbonara at restaurants before, but never made it at home. I knew the sauce was primarily made of eggs, but didn’t know exactly how.
It turns out that this pasta is super easy to make. And the process is actually super fun. The hot, cooked noodles are thrown in a bowl with raw eggs and parmesan cheese. The temperature of the noodles cooks the eggs as you stir the noodles and get them coated. This makes a super rich, super creamy sauce with NO CREAM. You seriously have to give it a try. I was fascinated.
Meanwhile, you saute the bacon and wine (that should have been the name of my blog). I threw in peas, which are somewhat traditional for this dish, and crab meat, which is decidedly not. The peas add a nice green color and a pop of fresh veggies. The crab meat added sweetness and extra protein, and fit right in!
So this meal, thrown together with odds and ends, is now “the best pasta I’ve ever made,” according to my husband. My son shoved the noodles in, and asked for “More? Mama More?” Music to my ears!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, cut into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup crab meat, leg or lump
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound linguine
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a small pan, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, wine and pepper. Simmer for about three minutes to reduce the wine. Add peas and crab, and 2-3 spoonfuls of pasta water into the pan. Simmer for another three minutes, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cheese, and salt.
- Drain the pasta. While it's still steaming hot, add it to the egg and cheese mixture. Stir well to combine, the heat of the pasta will cook the eggs and the egg mixture will stick to the pasta.
- Pour the bacon mixture over the linguine and toss.
- Serve immediately while hot.