Easy Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
This is the BEST pumpkin cake recipe! It’s a super moist fall cake recipe with fluffy cream cheese frosting.
Yes friends, it’s that time of the year! Pumpkin flavor is back in our lives, and I for one could not be more excited about it! We had a hard, hot summer here in Kansas City and the flavors of fall are so welcome. Bring on pumpkin season and pumpkin desserts, y’all!
“This was a big hit tonight! It truly is worth the time to whip that frosting. The hardest part was finding a spice cake mix this time of year! Every where was sold out! This is a true fall comfort dessert! Thanks Michelle!”-MaryAnne
This delicious Pumpkin Dream Cake recipe is an easier adaptation of a classic fall dessert. I cheat a little bit by using a spice cake mix!
But, instead of the classic cake mix additions like vegetable oil, we use a pure pumpkin puree and egg mixture for the wet ingredients. The addition of the pumpkin puree makes the cake extra moist with a tender crumb!
I love that it only takes 10 minutes to get this cake in the oven, and it makes your house smell amazing.
This easy cake recipe is so simple and easy to make for your family and friends. This recipe starts with a spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, and fluffy homemade cream cheese frosting. We add cinnamon and pumpkin spice seasoning for extra flavor.
The flavors in the cake pair perfectly with the homemade cinnamon cream cheese frosting. It’s the perfect fall dessert.
- You can substitute pumpkin pie filling for the pumpkin puree, pie spice and cinnamon in the cake batter.
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake: Use a Bundt pan
- Yes, you can use homemade pumpkin puree instead of the canned pumpkin puree.
- Use a carrot cake mix instead of the spice cake mix.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes? Try my Easy Pumpkin Soup.
Use this delicious cake recipe to make pumpkin cupcakes or muffins. It will make 12 large cupcakes, baking for about 15 minutes.
You also can use the batter 2 round cakes. This makes for a beautiful layer cake!
Or, use a Bundt pan for a Bundt cake!
White chocolate chips are also a wonderful addition to the batter!
I included instructions for the BEST cream cheese frosting! I like to top this cake with with walnuts, but pecans are delicious as well.
If you want to save calories, consider dusting the cake with confectioners’ sugar and skipping the frosting!
Salted caramel sauce is AMAZING drizzled over the top of the frosting.
Or, consider serving for Halloween topped with black sprinkles!
Storing Leftover Pumpkin Sheet Cake:
Cover your moist pumpkin sheet cake with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container. Due to the cream cheese in the frosting, it will need to be refrigerated.
For the pumpkin cake:
- 15.25 ounce Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a 9x13'' baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients for the cake batter: the spice cake mix and pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree and eggs.
- Mix with a spoon until fully combined. I do not recommend using a mixer, as it will cause the cake to dense, not fluffy.
- Transfer the cake mix to the prepared pan and smooth using a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a wire rack. Let the cake cool for at least 60 minutes before frosting.
- Make the frosting in a large bowl. Add the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the ingredients for about 30 seconds, until well combine.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, mixing for 6-8 minutes. I know this is a long time, but it will give you super light and fluffy frosting!
- Once the cake is completely cooled transfer the frosting to the cake. With a spatula evenly spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Once frosted sprinkle the top with the walnuts and any other toppings you'd like to add.
If you'd like a stiffer frosting, add up to 1 more cup of powdered sugar.
Add white chocolate chips or cinnamon chips to the batter for some extra flavor!
If making pumpkin cupcakes, this recipe will make 12 large cupcakes. You will need to bake for right around 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 299Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 60mgSodium 104mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 29gProtein 4g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app and may be incorrect.