Skillet Creamy Italian Chicken and Zucchini
When I first started this blogging adventure, I contacted an old college sorority sister, Becky from The Cookie Rookie. I had watched her blog grow from a hobby to a full-time job in just about two years. Becky encouraged me to take a chance, and start documenting my kitchen happenings.
One of my favorite recipes on her site (and one of the most popular), is her Skillet Basil Cream Chicken. I’ve made this countless times over the past year, and it’s truly a keeper. The type of recipe that you’d bring to a wedding shower for the bride-to-be. Know what I mean?
Anyways, as things typically happen in my house, this recipe evolved for me each time I made it. I made a few modifications, mostly streamlining the recipe by not breading the chicken, and leaving out the pimientos. The flavor profile is still the same, and the cream sauce is absolutely to die for! I also added in quick-cooking zucchini, which is always plentiful in my house.
Ready for a delicious skillet dinner that our family will ask for, time and time again? Let’s do it!
First, season the chicken, then add it to the skillet for a quick sear on each side. While the chicken is cooking, slice your zucchini and line up the remainder of the ingredients.
Next, add the zucchini rounds to brown quickly on both sides, about 30 seconds per side. Add chicken broth, cream, tomatoes and cheese, simmering a bit between each addition.
Return the chicken to the pan to reheat. Serve with gnocchi, pasta or rice.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast; cut into 4 thin cutlets for quick cooking
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
For the sauce:
- 1 small zucchini, cut into rounds about ½ inch thick
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 14.5 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ⅓ cup Boursin cheese (Garlic and Herb)
- Heat skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 1.5 tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, the season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- When oil is hot, add chicken breasts and cook 5 minutes.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan, flip chicken breasts and cook another 5 min until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts from pan and place on a plate.
- Add zucchini to skillet. Saute for about 30 seconds on each side, turning over with a fork.
- Add broth to skillet and bring to boil over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Stir frequently, scraping up any chicken or zucchini pieces stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in cream, allow to simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, first pouring juice from can into skillet, then hand crushing tomatoes and adding to skillet. Allow to simmer for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat, add cheeses, stir. Return chicken to pan and allow to simmer until ready to serve.
- I serve with gnocchi. Great with pasta or rice of any variety! There's plenty of sauce to cover the starch.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 851Total Fat 51gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 333mgSodium 761mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 74g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app and may be incorrect.