You will LOVE this Amish Broccoli Salad packed with broccoli, cauliflower, sunflower seeds, bacon and golden raisins! Topped with an easy, sweet dressing.
I'm constantly struggling for healthy, easy lunch options. My day job is in a somewhat industrial area of town, and the restaurant options are slim, so I typically bring something for lunch, like this Amish Broccoli Salad. If I forget my lunch, my choices are Wendy's, a diner, and a fried chicken joint.
After I returned to work from maternity leave, I actually GAINED back weight because I was eating unhealthy lunches every day. This was insult to injury in a time where I was really struggling with how my body looked.
My new daily routine took a while to get used to. It took months to adjust to the fact that I had to feed and dress another little human, then drop that little human off somewhere, and still get to work on time! I moaned every time I had to changed out of my yoga pants. I just couldn't pull it together to bring my lunch, too. That's where this Amish Broccoli Salad comes into play!
My savior? This Amish Broccoli Salad. It is PACKED with protein and nutrients. I had a blast looking up the nutrition on broccoli and cauliflower due to this handy little graphic that pits the two vegetables against each other in knock-out rounds.
It turns out that broccoli wins, although they are both worthy contenders.
This salad is so nutrient, protein and fiber dense that it is a meal in itself! I often make a huge batch, then bring the entire container into work and store it in the fridge. I can usually get 2-3 lunches out of one big batch, and it keeps me full all afternoon! Take that, Wendy's double cheeseburger with fries and a chocolate frosty!
Ready for an easy, delicious Amish Broccoli Salad that's easy on the waistline and a hit at barbecues? Let's do it!
First, get yourself a large mixing bowl. Add the raw chopped cauliflower and broccoli, cooked bacon, sunflower seeds and raisin. I love golden raisins, but any variety will do. You can typically find golden raisins in the bulk food section of your grocery store.
Next, whip up the dressing with just three ingredients you likely have at home! Mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar make a sweet and tangy dressing.
Love this Amish Broccoli Salad? I think you'll also enjoy:
- Easy Avocado Muffins
- Easy Candied Pecans
- Broccoli Cranberry Salad with Apples, Bacon and Walnuts (Great for FALL!)
- Creamy Apple Broccoli Slaw made with Pazazz Apples
- ½ pound bacon, cooked and diced
- 3 cups raw broccoli, diced
- 3 cups raw cauliflower, diced
- 1 small white or red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup raisins (I prefer golden raisins, look for them in your bulk foods section)
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl, add broccoli, cauliflower, bacon, raisins and sunflower seeds. Stir.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, sugar and white vinegar. Stir until well combined.
- Add mayonnaise dressing to broccoli mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Keep covered in refrigerator when not serving.
- Please do not cook the broccoli or cauliflower! This is best when the main veggies were raw.
Love this easy Amish Broccoli Salad? Try my family's long-time favorite Classic Country Cole Slaw, or my personal favorite Blackberry Crumble Dump Cake.