About once a month, I treat myself to lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in Kansas City. I know you probably won’t believe me, but I go there for one particular salad that’s on the menu. And I order the same thing, every time.
My monthly splurge costs me a whopping $160 a year. That’s right, my favorite salad and an iced tea costs me a little over $13. And, I gladly pay it because it is the best damn salad I’ve ever had.
Is the salad made of gold, you might ask? No, but if someone told me it was, I might believe them. The restaurant pairs spring lettuce mix with Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, cut Granny Smith apples, candied pecans, and dried cranberries and tops it off with the perfect dressing, a champagne honey vinaigrette.
When I started freezer cooking, I quickly realized how much money I was wasting by not bringing my own lunch. I began packaging individual sized lunch portions and freezing them. I’d stock my fridge at work after a long weekend of freezer cooking, and be set for lunch. But, I still kept my monthly salad indulgence.
Recently, I set out to make a copycat recipe. I reasoned that if I figured it out, it would be a win/win situation for me! I could save money, AND eat this salad much more than once a month. I’m happy to report that I nailed it!
This salad recipe is so fresh, and so easy to throw together. The Champagne Honey Vinaigrette is a perfectly tart compliment to the candied pecans and creamy Gorgonzola cheese. Serve as a beautiful starter salad, or with grilled salmon or chicken for an incredibly healthy meal.
- 6 oz mixed baby greens*
- 1/2 cup Easy Candied Pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2.5 ounces gorgonzola cheese**
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 4 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl or dressing container, add dressing ingredients and shake or whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over the salad, mix well to combine.
- *Or spinach, or whatever lettuce you have on hand.
- ** Sub feta, bleu or crumbled goat cheese if desired.