This Grilled Mojo Chicken is marinated in a simple mojo marinade! Packed with citrus juice and garlic, it's one of my favorite chicken marinades.
My husband can't stand plain chicken. He needs it spicy, sauced, or marinated to add a ton of flavor! To keep chicken interesting at our house, I've developed a bunch of chicken marinades and sauces over the years. This Mojo Chicken Marinade is one of my favorites!
This recipe is for grilled Mojo Chicken, and I chose to cube the chicken to allow the marinade to touch as much chicken as possible. If you don't plan on grilling the chicken, that's fine! Just follow the recipe until the grilling instructions begin, and then cook in the method you prefer.
Mojo marinade is so fresh and light! There are a lot of varieties, but most typically include the following ingredients:
- Garlic, and lots of it
- Orange juice and/or lime juice
- Spices and herbs
The optimal amount of time to marinate your chicken in mojo marinade is about 8 hours. The acid (orange and lime juice) in the marinade do a great job tenderizing the meat! But, you don't want to let it go too long, or your chicken will start to get mushy!
You can also use this mojo marinade on pork or steak. Both of these can also use a longer, 4-8 hour marinade. If you use this mojo marinade on fish, the fish only needs to marinate for about 30 minutes to one hour before cooking.
I hope that you enjoy this light, flavorful grilled chicken! Remember to leave me a comment and let me know how you liked the recipe.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, no skin, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- For the marinade:
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, chopped
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well to combine.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Thread chicken onto metal skewers (preferred), and allow to rest at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare grill for high heat grilling.
- Grill chicken skewers for 8-9 minutes total, flipping once.
- Serve warm.
*You can use wood skewers, just be sure to soak them in water for at least 10 minutes prior to grilling to keep them from burning on the grill.