Get a basic grocery list and meal plan for a family of 4 in the event that you can't leave the house! Affordable meals that use mostly shelf stable products are included.
I spent most of the morning at the grocery store after receiving the news that a neighboring school district might be closing for the foreseeable future. And, that our City was declared to be in a "State of Emergency." I'm anticipating receiving the news that our school district will close as well, and seeing a lot of closures and event cancellations throughout our city.
I'm the type that tends to freak out a bit when there are natural disasters or health emergencies. I would very much rather be safe than sorry, especially now that I have a child!
While it's unlikely that grocery stores will completely close in the event of a quarantine, supplies may be disrupted and/or it may not be possible to venture out into a public place. With that in mind, I stocked up on shelf stable items today to be sure that we're covered in the event we have to spend 2 weeks at home.
I truly hope things don't get severe, and that I over planned here. But, again, better safe than sorry. My plans are to keep buying and using our perishables for now. But, if things get bad, I think we now have enough on hand to make it through!
Without further ado, here's the coronavirus quarantine meal plan for a family of 4!
- 5 lbs of deli meat
- 2 packages of hot dogs
- 2 pounds of chicken breast
- 1 pork roast (4-5 pounds)
- 6 pounds ground beef
- 1 beef roast (4-5 pounds)
Place all meat, save for the hot dogs, 1-2 pounds of ground beef and 1-2 pounds of deli meat into the freezer.
- 40 ounce jar of peanut butter
- 18 ounce jar of jelly
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 4 boxes of Velveeta Shells and Cheese (does not require milk or butter)
- 3 12-packs of fruit cups (mandarin oranges, pears or peaches)
- 2 jars of salsa
- 4 pounds spaghetti noodles or pasta of your choice
- 4 jars of pasta sauce (15 ounces each)
- 4 cans chili tomatoes
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans black beans
- 4 cans chili beans
- 4 cans of corn
- 4 cans of green beans
- Assorted mixes. Check the instructions and choose those that only need water to be added. I have a few examples below:
- 3 bulk bags of cereal
- Shelf stable milk
- 4 loaves of bread
- 3 bags of tortilla chips
- 10 pound bag of potatoes
- bag of yellow onions
- 3 pounds carrots
- 4 packages sliced cheese
I chose the carrots, onions and potatoes for their long shelf life and variety of uses. You can certainly purchase more fruits and vegetables, but plan to use them within the first week.
Bread and cheese can be frozen, put 3 loaves and 3 packages of cheese into the freezer after purchasing.
This grocery list will cover the essentials for the following meals:
- 52 sandwiches total
- 32 with deli meat and cheese
- 20 PB&J
- 8 hot dog and mac and cheese meals for the kids
- 4 spaghetti and meat sauce dinners or goulash
- 2 Chili dinners
- 2 Pot Roast dinners
- 2 Pulled Pork dinners
- 2 Chicken Tortilla Soup dinners
- Muffins, cereal and pancakes for breakfast
Side dish options: