Perfect Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker
In Kansas City, pulled pork sandwiches are a mainstay on restaurant menus. I can honestly say that I never had good pulled pork until I moved here after college. Growing up, pulled pork was typically overcooked mush drowned in barbecue sauce. Kinda like the mystery meat they served for school lunch. Something to be avoided.
Rest assured that this recipe will yield you savory, perfectly cooked pork. Slap a simple 5-spice rub on the pork loin, and let the slow cooker do the rest. It’s the perfect blend of sweet, savory, and smoky and is perfect for sandwiches, to top salads, or even to use in your favorite Mexican dishes!
I also feel compelled to mention how affordable this dish can be. I typically buy one of those enormous boneless pork loins (8-9 lbs), and then divide it three ways. One part goes into the slow cooker, the other two pieces are frozen for another day. My store occasionally runs a $1.79/lb special on these giant slabs of pork.
For my little family of 3, cooking a pork loin like this can yield three dinners! We typically use it in enchiladas, tacos, on barbecue sandwiches and just by itself.
- 1 2-3 pound boneless pork loin roast
- ½ cup chicken broth
For the spice rub:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp dry mustard (substitute prepared mustard if you need to)
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- ½ tbsp cumin
- Pat pork dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Combine spices into a small dish.
- Gently pat the spices onto the meat, pressing to form a crust.
- Transfer the spice rubbed pork into the slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth around pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove, and shred with a fork. Allow to rest in the juices for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- If you don't have chicken broth, feel free to sub vegetable broth, or water.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 5
Amount Per Serving Calories 461Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 182mgSodium 976mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 61g
The nutrition for this recipe is calculated by an app and may be incorrect.